Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

9 days tokyo/kyoto/osaka 2015/7/31 21:05
Hi guys, after hours of searching through various "passes" out there, I could not fully decide which one is the most cost-efficient and time-efficient. Our entry/exit point is in Osaka. I was choosing among any of the following options I cooked up thus far:

1. Get JR pass, immediately go to Tokyo + Rent a home in Tokyo for the whole duration. Travel around tokyo, osaka and kyoto during the day, then go home every night to Tokyo home.

2. Travel to tokyo via night bus, rent a home in tokyo and tour around for 3 days. Then travel again via train/bus to Kyoto and rent a home there for 3 days + get kyoto pass. Then travel again via train/bus to Osaka and rent a home there for 3 days + get osaka 2day pass.

3. Travel to tokyo via night bus, rent a home in tokyo and tour around for 3 days. Then travel again via train/bus to Osaka and rent a home there for 6 days + get osaka 2day pass + kyoto pass.

What do you think guys? Please also feel free to give suggestions.
by Addison (guest)  

Re: 9 days tokyo/kyoto/osaka 2015/8/1 10:28
I see no advantage in option 1) except that you won't have to move your base for almost the entire stay. But otherwise it is inefficient (you will be spending hours on the shinkansen each day) and expensive (you would need to buy a 14-day rail pass)

I see almost no difference between 2) and 3). Kyoto and Osaka are just a few kilometers apart from each other. It is easily possible to visit them from the same base. If you visit one before the other, then Kyoto before Osaka would make slightly better sense from a geographical point of view.

The only long-distance trip is the trip between Osaka/Kyoto and Tokyo. If you have a low budget, then I recommend using night buses. If you have a higher budget, then I recommend using the shinkansen. A 7-day Japan Rail Pass will cost about the same as regular shinkansen tickets for a round trip between Tokyo and Osaka/Kyoto.

More details on travel between Tokyo and Osaka:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e4006.html
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: 9 days tokyo/kyoto/osaka 2015/8/1 12:26
Thank you for the feedback Uji. I really needed it. For 2) and 3) I am going to follow your advice and just stick with one base.
What do you think would be better:

a. buying osaka pass + kyoto pass (unli transpo with free pass to some tourist spots)
b. buying kansai pass + individual payment to select tourist spots
by Addison (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 9 days tokyo/kyoto/osaka 2015/8/1 13:22
That depends on how fast you travel. Kyoto is small and compact Many attraction . easy to get around. Can even cycle.

So really, how many sights do you plan to see in a day?
by Joshua Hugh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 9 days tokyo/kyoto/osaka 2015/8/1 17:02
I personally prefer using an Icoca prepaid card to get around Kyoto and Osaka. But if you visit the sights covered by the Osaka Unlimited Pass, I recommend to use it, as well.

Re: 9 days tokyo/kyoto/osaka 2015/8/2 01:16
@Joshua Hugh:

I don't mind going through sights in a fast-paced manner, so I'm planning to squeeze in the most number of sights per day. Do you think I can manage to go through all "must-see" sights in Kyoto in 1 day? or 2 days?

Is Osaka Pass better my pacing is fast? Also, I'm planning to spend 1 whole day in Universal Studios Japan.

@Uji:
icoca prepaid card instead of "kansai pass" sir?

Re: 9 days tokyo/kyoto/osaka 2015/8/2 10:41
I am not sure which pass you refer to when saying "Kansai Pass". There are at least two you could be referring to. The following page covers the issue of what pass to use in the Kansai Region:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2357_kansai.html

It concludes that if you visit just Kyoto and Osaka (and maybe Nara and Kobe), a regional pass is unlikely to pay off and that it is usually better to use an IC card and possible day passes for specific cities.

Re: 9 days tokyo/kyoto/osaka 2015/8/3 21:39

Re: 9 days tokyo/kyoto/osaka 2015/8/4 08:10
I don't really get what you mean by mustsee sights since I have a different list of must see as compared to other people. Still I recommend 3 days at the least. 2.5 if you can move really fast.

Yes. If so, the bus pass will pay off. But some people, like me, like to walk between attractions. See some residential and all that. If so, it isn't as worth while.

In that case, it depends on the rest of you Osaka plans.
by Joshua hugh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 9 days tokyo/kyoto/osaka 2015/11/13 15:51
I just wanted to express my gratitude to everyone who responded to my inquiries.

We had a solid memorable 9 days of travelling and sightseeing - all thanks to your incredible help.

P.S. If you wanted to see some pictures we took - I'm going to be shameless and share my fb profile link: facebook url/chan.addi
by Addison Chan rate this post as useful

reply to this thread