Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Car rental with soft copy driving permit 2015/8/1 17:32
Hi, my family and I are traveling from Singapore and staying at Sapporo tonight. We want to go to furano tomorrow or day after but the car rental companies refuse to lease me a car because my international driving permit is in soft copy :( I just thought to try my luck if there's anyone out here who has an IDP in Sapporo today who can help me by leasing a car for us. I will be 100% liable for any damages. I know it's hard to trust, I will give you all my contact and legal information and be registered as an accompanying driver if that helps. Please help me!!!!
by Anabel (guest)  

Re: Car rental with soft copy driving permit 2015/8/1 20:09
Do yourself a favour, forget about driving this trip. Instead, go buy the JR Hokkaido Furano-Biei Rail Ticket. Y5550 per person if departing from Sapporo valid for 4 days for unlimited rides in the Furano-biei free ride section. http://www2.jrhokkaido.co.jp/global/pdf/e/furanobiei.pdf
by Supernova (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Car rental with soft copy driving permit 2015/8/2 05:21
car rental companies refuse to lease me a car because my international driving permit is in soft copy
Why do you have electronic one?
I don't think any rental car company will let you with soft copy...

International Driving Permit is only a physical paper or at least in my country when you get one.

Unfortunately you will probably need to train or bus it there.

Hope this helps!!!
Have Fun!!!
by Koohii2wii rate this post as useful

Re: Car rental with soft copy driving permit 2015/8/2 06:26
I think japan will only accept the blue booklet type IDP with a proper photo and a actual ink stamp.
by kms899 rate this post as useful

Re: Car rental with soft copy driving permit 2015/8/2 06:31
To add to the point what you have suggested (OP) it's illegal to do that, only the person registered the IDP can drive the car, in other words if I do provide the IDP, I will have to drive.
That's why you have to registered all the people who will be driving when you rent the car, and each person will have to carry a valid IDP.
by kms899 rate this post as useful

Re: Car rental with soft copy driving permit 2015/8/2 10:53
car rental companies refuse to lease me a car because my international driving permit is in soft copy

I think the police is not going to recognize a "soft copy", either, which can result in a court date for driving without valid driver's license. You better confirm that your license is recognized in Japan or avoid driving in Japan.
by Uji rate this post as useful

reply to this thread