Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Stopover Niigata - Kyoto 2015/8/3 01:54
Hello everyone!

I'm about to return to Niigata, my old college town, in September. After that, we will be heading to Kyoto with a JR Pass.

I know the fastest way to get to Kyoto would be to take the Shinkansen via Tokyo. However, because we will be coming from Tokyo and returning there later, I was thinking about seeing some of the countryside. Originally, my idea was to have a stopover (not necessarily an overnight stay) in Takayama. Now I see that trains are taking longer than I expected, so going thru Takayama means no time to actually see the place.

So, is Kanazawa a good alternative for a stopover? Or do you have any other suggestions?

Thank you very much for your help!
by Joben (guest)  

Re: Stopover Niigata - Kyoto 2015/8/3 07:45
Yes, Kanazawa is a relatively easy option for a stopover. If you leave very early in the morning, you can be in Kanazawa before 10am, so you would have enough time to see some parts of the city even without an overnight stay.

There are dozens of other possible options for a stop over. Basically anywhere that is along the or close to the Joetsu Shinkansen, Tokaido Shinkansen, Hokuriku Shinkansen or the Hokuriku Main Line:
http://www.japan-guide.com/list/e1104.html
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Stopover Niigata - Kyoto 2015/8/3 08:32
The train along the coast from Niigata to Kanazawa is nice (I did it a few weeks ago). There is a small private rail supplement charge of a few hundred yen, and a transfer onto the shinkansen for the final leg to Kanazawa itself.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

reply to this thread