Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

8-10 days in Hokkaido 2015/8/3 17:28
My wife and I are planning to make a trip to Hokkaido in October this year. We will be flying to Sapporo and will be using public transport to get around Can we please get some help and advice on an itinerary for the visit? We are looking for a relaxing trip to soak in the local culture, scenery and food. Thanks
by E. Lee (guest)  

Re: 8-10 days in Hokkaido 2015/8/3 19:11
Okay. First thing for you to note, is that October in Hokkaido is fall. Meaning autumn colours if you go to national parks or natural scenic areas.

Is this your interest? If so, daisetsuzan area and kushiro area and Akan areas, all have large expanse of colours. There are waking trails and hikes. Some takes a few nights whereas others are only a few hours long.

Something else to note. This time isn't about the season but about the prefecture. Hokkaido is a resort area for the Japanese for three main reasons.
1. The great expanse of nature
2. The large European influence making it unique
3 hot springs

Of course there are other reasons like Fresh seafood and farm produce. Since you'll going in autumn, you won't get any fresh fruits or vegetables though meat and milk is available. Though these two reasons are reaon enough to go to Hokkaido, they aren't unique to Hokkaido. Other parts of Japan has farmland too. Unless you are after the famous yubari melon. (100$ usd and upwards per melon)

That being said, Hokkaido has many expanse of nature. Lake toys is one famous example. It is convenient to access from Sapporo and Sapporo airport. It is also quite normal to do a loop of sapporo and Hakodate with it as it is along the way. However, if you are aiming for autumn colors this may not be an option.

The second reason, hot springs, abound in Hokkaido. The most famous is noboribetsu onsen. This location is near lake toya and as such it is also along the Sapporo Hakodate route. That said, there are other onsen locations in Hokkaido like lake Kushiro where you can bath by the lake itself. Or about and around Mt Daisetsuzan; great after a day out with the chilly autumn winds.

Lastly, it is the European culture. This is most apparent in the port city of Hakodate and port town of otaru. Western cakes, chocolates, coffee, rolls, ice cream, glass blowing, architecture.

As for location,
Lake toya, noboribetsu onsen, Hakodate, otaru, and Sapporo are west of the airport.
The other locations with great expanse of nature and autumn colors are East of the airport.
Due to Hokkaido rail system that is not as friendly as honchu it going from the east to the west is pretty tough.

All in all, I rexommend three options:
1. Do the east
2. Do the west
3. With 8-11 days, if you hurry yourselves, it is possible to do a bit of both sides. If rushed, each side could take between 5-7 days. Though, if you are into chilling and taking things at a slow pace than this might not be ideal.
by Joshua hugh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 8-10 days in Hokkaido 2015/8/3 19:45
Hi Joshua, thank you very much for your information and advice. I'll work our an itinerary basing on the information given. Meantime do I need to buy a rail pass for the Sapporo/Hakodate route?
Thanks again.
by E.Lee (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread