Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Hiking pole recommendation 2015/8/5 00:58
Hi,

I'm planning to do some easy to moderate hiking/trekking e.g. Kumano Kodo, Shirakami-sanchi. I would like to get lightweight hiking poles (both sides, just in case), preferrably with anti-shock. In Singapore where I live, I saw mostly LEKI and Black Diamond. I'm interested in Black Diamond Z, but there is one shop selling Mont Bell. From several topics on this forum, it seems MontBell is famous in Japan but not many reviews are available in Google.

Do you have any recommendation of good brand/model? I expect the pole will support me on moderate hiking.

Also, can I carry hiking pole in carry-on baggage?

Thank you in advance.
by Moccy  

Re: Hiking pole recommendation 2015/8/8 16:36
If weight is your main concern, either the Leki or the Black Diamond carbon poles will work. The clip closures don't loosen and slide like the screw type. If you are going through rocks and boulders, where the sides of your poles might hit, then look into the Leki titanium (Al) or the Black Diamond aluminum. These will hold up to side impacts better. The carbon poles sometimes break when hit on the side with something hard.

You can't take poles in your carry on, so get some short enough to fit into your check in baggage.

I haven't used Mont-bell poles even though they're a Japanese company. I'm presently using the Leki Micro Vario Titanium which break apart like the BD Z poles, making them shorter for packing. They are about 450g/pair. Komperdell also makes good poles. There are a lot of cheaper poles out there but you get what you pay for in either durability or weight. One cheap set nearly landed me on my face when all the screw locks just slid when I stumbled and put a lot of weight on one pole and it just collapsed (Yakushima). I used to use old aluminum ski poles and they worked fine although they didn't adjust.
by Anaguma (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Hiking pole recommendation 2015/8/9 17:17
Hi Anaguma,

Thanks for your kind sharing.

I have decided on Black Diamond Z poles. It's still feel quite awkward but I hope it works. It looks sturdy, very lightweight, and

May I know where do you usually use the poles for hiking? Are there many people using poles e.g. for light hike?
by Moccy rate this post as useful

reply to this thread