Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Kumano Kodo 2015/8/5 07:27
We are traveling from Naoshima to the Kumano Kodo area in the last week of August.Is it possible to stay in one town in the region & do a couple of treks over a couple of days or would it be more rewarding to take a pilgrim trek where you stay overnight & stay along the route ?
by Paul (guest)  

Re: Kumano Kodo 2015/8/5 21:57
This really depends on your comfort level and stamina. I would like to have a base. I don't have the courage to stay in cottages in the wild. I'm not insect friendly. If you don't have the stamina to go and return on the same day, staying along the trek is a good idea. Though, accommodation isn't the easiest thing to find.
by Joshua hugh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kumano Kodo 2015/8/5 23:08
The best place to stay for transport links is Kii-Tanabe. Accommodation is not that easy to find but basically everything can be found at the following location which is the Tanabe Tourist Bureau:

http://www.tb-kumano.jp/en/

The link above allows you to book accommodation, tours, activities and has all of the maps for the WHOLE Kumano Kodo with detailed bus timetables as well.

On a personal note - I loved completing some of the smaller walks which took a couple of hours. They were still challenging but quite pretty as well.
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: Kumano Kodo 2015/8/6 02:29
I'm going to assume that you are visiting Naoshima as a day trip from Okayama. The trip from Okayama station to Kii-katsuura station is about a six hour train ride, and that will get you near the main part of the Kumano Region. It is also possible to go to Tanabe (near Shirahama), and take the bus from there.

Katsurra is much closer to the three major shrines in the Kumano region.

You can stay in Kasturra, and make day trips to the major shrines. I usually stay at the resort hotel Urashima there. Since it is a six hour train ride, I would at least advise your to stay there for a night or two, and visit Nachi-Taisha by bus from there. There is a bus station near the train station, and you can purchase a round trip ticket there. It is rather low cost compared to the cost of going to Hongu-Taisha.

If you want to hike some of the trails, I would then switch to one of the Ryoken near Hongu-Taisha. There are three to choose from. I believe that there might be a multi-day bus pass that you can purchase in either Shingu or Katsurra. I believe that it is offered by the Kotsu bus line. With this bus pass, you can get to your Ryoken, and then travel some of the Kumano-Kodo paths, and then return by bus back to your Ryoken.

Even though I am not recommending starting in Tanabe, the Tanabe tourism website has a wealth of information for getting around the Kumano Region:

http://www.tb-kumano.jp/en/

I hope this helps.
by ebaychucky311 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread