Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

any non-smoking rooms at koyasan? 2015/8/10 17:52
I want to book a night in koyasan but noticed that most rooms are "smoking" according to listings on japanican and japaneseguesthouses. Are there non-smoking rooms? Has anyone had trouble with tobacco smell while staying at a temple?
by rotud1  

Re: any non-smoking rooms at koyasan? 2015/8/10 20:51
Interesting. I never came across a smoking room when I did my booking. Probably because both the temples and the surrounding area has tons of wood
by JOSHUA hugh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: any non-smoking rooms at koyasan? 2015/8/11 02:09
There are non-smoking options at the Koyasan temple lodgings, however, the non-smoking rooms may be sold out.

Have you tried booking through any other sites? Here is a great link to a Koyasan-based lodging site:
http://eng.shukubo.net/temple-lodging.html

Interestingly, when I stayed in Koyasan, some of the monks at the temple I was staying in were smokers.
by Ohara (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: any non-smoking rooms at koyasan? 2015/8/11 06:26
I stayed in Eko-in temple last year, never noticed any smoke or smoking rooms at that temple nor in the city. Could have been lucky but it ought to be some temples with only non-smoking.

I don't believe smoking is seen as an okay habit among Buddhism, but I just guess...
by David (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: any non-smoking rooms at koyasan? 2015/8/11 07:59
David,

I think there are various views of Buddhism around the world and also varying lifestyle limitations for monks.

Although the monks in Koyasan may follow a very strict diet, they do partake in other 'vices.'

Here is a link to an interesting article about smoking and Buddhism (and an example of its occurrence in Japan):
http://www.tricycle.com/blog/slow-burn
by Ohara (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread