Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Day Trip - Kyoto to Miyajima? 2015/8/15 13:57
Is Kyoto to Miyajima a recommended trip or are they too far away to work out?

Thanks
by RM9090  

Re: Day Trip - Kyoto to Miyajima? 2015/8/16 03:54
It is definitely possible with an early start. 3 hours one way. And fully covered if you have a Japan Rail Pass.

Whether you like that style of travel is a different question.

Personally, I recommend to enjoy Miyajima by staying overnight on the island, giving you the opportunity to see the island in the calm evenings and mornings. Ryokan and hotels on the island are not cheap, though.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Day Trip - Kyoto to Miyajima? 2015/8/16 07:17
I've done it before, and thought it was worth it. But yes it does require a very early morning and possibly a late night if you want to stay on the island till night time to see the shrine lit up like we did. We left Kyoto at around 7am and got back at midnight.
by Mon (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Day Trip - Kyoto to Miyajima? 2015/8/16 10:06
The train wont leave you in Miyajime island itself, right?

You have to take a boat, i guess.

How easy is to access the island? How is the boat interval? Are there a lot of schedules or do i have to wait an hour?

Thanks
by RM9090 rate this post as useful

Re: Day Trip - Kyoto to Miyajima? 2015/8/16 10:43
You take the shinkansen to Hiroshima station, then either a tram to the port at hiroshima and a ferry to the island, or a train to Miyajimaguchi station, and then a ferry to the island. If you're travelling with a JR pass, there is a JR ferry which is covered by the pass, but it only runs from Miyajimaguchi.

More details here: http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3454.html

There's links at the bottom of the page to the ferry companies with timetables.
by Mon (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Day Trip - Kyoto to Miyajima? 2015/8/16 11:28
Three hours from Kyoto to the island by train - you can be there by 10 am pretty easily. Depending on how in depth you want to be it takes from a couple to many hours.

It is easy to combine with the peace park/museum and you might be all done by 3 p.m. and back in Kyoto by 6. Check the availability of seats on the afternoon-evening trains or you might be having dinner locally.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

reply to this thread