Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Driving in Shimokita 2015/8/18 06:47
Hi,
I will be renting a car in Mutsu-shi to explore the Shimokita hanto in late October.

Since I have never driven in Japan before I chose this more rural area to start with. I am experienced in driving at home though so I am not unused to cars and driving in common and take it easy when driving.

What can I expect of the roads in the area?

What about wild animals on the road (since it is very rural)?

Should I avoid driving after dark (it gets dark by 17.00 by then)?

Anything else to keep in mind?
by Zozo (guest)  

Re: Driving in Shimokita 2015/8/18 09:06
What can I expect of the roads in the area?

I've driven the Shimokita Hanto and the roads were very typical and pretty much indistinguishable from the rural roads anywhere else in Japan really. Well maintained, with very little traffic.

What about wild animals on the road (since it is very rural)?

No more concern than normal driving. It gets particularly dark at night so just try to be awake and aware.

Should I avoid driving after dark (it gets dark by 17.00 by then)?

As mentioned, it can get particularly dark, but that doesn't really affect the driving. It can feel pretty lonely on the road, but it was a nice feeling compared to some other places I've driven.

Have a good trip!
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Driving in Shimokita 2015/8/18 11:51

I drove rental car when touring Shimokita area in May 2012, and found driving was very easy ; the peninsular was relatively quiet and not many cars, not many tourists either then . I am assuming things would hardly change in the region. Enjoy your drive!
by liem (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Driving in Shimokita 2015/9/14 04:36
Zozo,

Where are you planning to rent a car from in Mutsu-shi? I've been thinking about doing the same for my trip in October, but haven't been able to find any results on various car rental web sites.

Thanks,
-Albert
by Albert And rate this post as useful

Re: Driving in Shimokita 2015/9/14 05:54
Toyota rent-a-car has an outlet in Mutsu むつ市.

https://rent.toyota.co.jp/shop/detail.aspx?sFlg=3&sCount=&rCode=62101&...

by William5 rate this post as useful

Re: Driving in Shimokita 2015/9/14 08:05
And right by Shimokita station! That's exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks for the link!
by Albert And rate this post as useful

reply to this thread