Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Temple recommendation in Mount Koya 2015/8/19 00:37
Hello. I am looking for an experience staying in a temple in Mount Koya. I wouldn't like to stay in a very touristic place. I would like to feel something genuine. I see there is a big offer of places to stay, can anyone recommend me a place i am lookin for, please?
by agustin1981  

Re: Temple recommendation in Mount Koya 2015/8/19 20:22
Well. It's hard to find someone who have been to many different temple for their lodging since koya is more or less a one night stay type of place.

Anyone staying in a temple is there as either to feel tranquil or as a part of a pilgrimage. There are no 'touristy' temple lodging. There are lodgings for the few business or leisure travellers. But for temples, you won't find a concierge or a pool for tourists.
by Joshua hugh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Temple recommendation in Mount Koya 2015/8/19 23:31
by Uori (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Temple recommendation in Mount Koya 2015/8/19 23:34
The temple stay in Mt.Koya is very popular for the tourist. I hope you can enjoy temple stay in Mt.Koya for example you can experience meditation, morning pray, Shojin ryori (Vegetable meals).
If you do not want to stay with many tourist in Mt.Koya, How about Senju-in in Nara? You can stay temple in rural Nara.
by Travel Arrange Japan rate this post as useful

Re: Temple recommendation in Mount Koya 2015/8/20 08:32
My partner and our 5 year old son stayed at Komyo-in at Mt koya. We were lucky to be the only people there and had the bath to ourselves. The food for dinner and breakfast was some of the best vegetarian food in Japan. The temple is in the main part of town and close to the bus stop. We spent the afternoon wandering thru the Okunoin and saw all the temples and sights in one day. The trip to get to Mt Koya is really amazing too
by Nasum (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Temple recommendation in Mount Koya 2015/8/20 11:16
I've stayed at a few, and I'd highly recommend Shojoshin-in. We had the best experience there with a spectacular room (must have been 20 tatami-mats in size), and an excellent morning service. At the time (4 years ago) the head monk there spoke English as he has been posted to California at some point in his career. The temple is also right next to the entrance to Okunoin so you can easily visit the graveyard during the day and especially at night!

http://www.shohjohshinin.jp/
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread