Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Arriving after checkin hours? 2015/8/20 17:46
Hi Everyone, So.. This might be a bit of a stupid question.. ;-)

I was wondering if anyone has some experience with arriving late at your accommodation in Japan. Is it something I should try to avoid or is it not that much of a problem.

I know this probably depends on the the place your staying but I'm just looking for some overall experiences.

Situation is as follows:

Start the day from Uozu so I'm close to the Kurobu Gore Railway. After I'm finished there I'll take the train to Takayama.
For some reason if I miss the 15:33 train in Unazaki wich will arrive 18:38 in Takayama, The next train arriving in Takayama for me will be the 21:43 one according to Hyperdia.

Since I don't know yet how long I'll be at the Kurobu Gore exactly, there is a possibility that I won't be back in time for the 15:33 train.
by dennisgoossens  

Re: Arriving after checkin hours? 2015/8/20 18:23
For regular hotels it is generally no problem to arrive late. However, it is best to call and inform the hotel if you will be arriving much later than expected as worst case they may cancel your booking if you don't show up by a reasonable time.

Ryokan are a different matter. You really need to arrive there before dinner (if having dinner), as it can be very difficult on the staff if you arrive late. Definitely call there too if you will be later than expected.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Arriving after checkin hours? 2015/8/21 10:03
I stayed in a Super Hotel in Osaka, and because of a delayed domestic flight did not arrive until close to midnight. They weren't upset though! I agree with the above posters; just let the hotel know you will be late (e-mail may be sufficient).
by sq (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Arriving after checkin hours? 2015/8/29 01:42
Thanks for the comments! Contacted the hostel, not that much of a problem! :-)
by dennisgoossens rate this post as useful

Re: Arriving after checkin hours? 2015/8/29 02:14
Usually not a problem unless the place your staying has a curfew or maybe your staying in a Ryokan with Dinner which case you need to show up before the schedule time of dinner. (Usually around 4pm so they have prepared for 530 or 6pm depending)

Hope this helps!!!
Have fun!!
by Koohii2wii rate this post as useful

Re: Arriving after checkin hours? 2015/8/29 08:04
usually, midnight arriving is not welcome, especially when you don't pay in advance.
however, they don't show any unpleasantness in their face, because you are a costumer.
although it might be impossible to understand their true thinking as foreigners, it is the common sense that YOU HAVE TO TELL THEM YOUR LATE ARRIVAL IN ADVANCE.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Arriving after checkin hours? 2015/8/29 08:27
if you don't pay in advance and you don't tell them your late arrival in advance, they may use your room for another emergent guest, especially in busy periods. you have no way to argue them against it, because you don't pay in advance. (money payer is a customer.)
be sure that you only "reserve" it. not you already "bought" it.
what they are doing is a business, not a courtesy.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread