Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Visiting Himeji Castle with luggage 2015/8/22 06:32
I have read that many people make a stop on the way to or from Hiroshima to visit Himeji Castle. We were wondering what we could do with our luggage while we toured the castle. We will have a couple carry-on size bags.

Also, is there any advice on the best train to take between Kyoto and Hiroshima that would make the stop at the castle? We will have a JRP.

Thanks for your help.
by Denisa (guest)  

Re: Visiting Himeji Castle with luggage 2015/8/22 16:34
You could use coin lockers at Himeji station, or you can forward your luggage to the next hotel using luggage forwarding service (you will need to send them out one day before, as it will be next-day delivery, not same-day delivery).

If you have JR Pass, you can take JR Kodama, Hikari, or Sakura Shinkansen trains.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Visiting Himeji Castle with luggage 2015/8/22 18:40
As it's still considered a very attractive attraction since it re-opened in March, you will have plenty of visitors to the town. There are numerous lockers at JR Himeji, but from experience, you need to arrive before 8am to secure yourself with the largest of lockers. I had people fighting over my largest-sized locker.

Luggage forwarding is a very attractive option as your luggage will be there the following day (in most cases) at your hotel and you don't have to lug it everywhere. Also, it will only cost you double what those large lockers charge for the day (600yen for the largest).
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: Visiting Himeji Castle with luggage 2015/8/22 20:36
is there any advice on the best train to take between Kyoto and Hiroshima that would make the stop at the castle? We will have a JRP.

As ... wrote, you can use Hikari, Kodama and Sakura Shinkansen trains. Among them, Sakura is the best since it has 2+2 seat configuration in reserved seat cars so that it is more spacious as compared to 2+3 configuration of Hikari and Kodama. Unfortunately Sakura don't run in Shin-Osaka to Tokyo. So You should take Hikari (faster than Kodama) in Kyoto to Himeji section. Use hyperdia to find which is the best for you (your preferred time, time required).

http://goo.gl/LlJJi4

Route 1 Hikari takes 44 min and no transfer, but it may be too early, since Himeji castle opens at 9:00.

From Himeji to Hiroshima, you should take Sakura, but some Sakuras don't stop at Himeji, and you should note that after 11:45, Himeji to Hiroshima is very inconvenient due to the timetable.

http://goo.gl/7LUje1

Search Hyperdia by yourself and find which train is better.
by frog1954 rate this post as useful

Re: Visiting Himeji Castle with luggage 2015/8/23 00:00
What is this luggage forwarding service you speak of? When is the latest luggage drop off time? I'm planning my trip for mid November and was mainly trusting the use of train station lockers.
by Faithn (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Visiting Himeji Castle with luggage 2015/8/23 00:51
"Takuhaibin is a convenient service for sending parcels, luggage and various other types of goods from door to door nationwide. Delivery is usually on the next day, and costs are moderate."

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2278.html
by CaiDY rate this post as useful

Re: Visiting Himeji Castle with luggage 2015/8/23 12:26
I checked Hyperdia to see possible train options. We will have a Japan Rail Pass. I see the Sakura goes direct from Hiroshima to Himeji. I also see there is a seat fee for this train. Do I pay that in addition to using the rail pass?
by Denisa (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Visiting Himeji Castle with luggage 2015/8/23 12:54
I also see there is a seat fee for this train. Do I pay that in addition to using the rail pass?

No. Japan Rail Pass holder can take all JR trains (with some exceptions such as Nozomi and Mizuho) for free. If you want to take reserved seat, you must reserve for free, at any JR reservation booth (Midori no Madoguchi). You might better print out Hyperdia page and check your preferred route and hand it with your JR Pass to the staff.

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2361.html
by frog1954 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread