Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Japan food through toll/customs question 2015/8/23 06:50
Hi,
I have heard that Australian customs are very strict on bringing in food into the country.

I dont know how Japan is but when abroad I use to bring a small package of dry peppercorn in case of really upset stomach (which helps me a lot). Would it be any problem for me bringing it into Japan?

I suppose it can be found in stores in Japan as well but I dont want to take so much time finding it there.

I read on the information that live animals, meat, vegetables, fruit, rice etc is restricted...
by Customs (guest)  

Re: Japan food through toll/customs question 2015/8/24 05:58
Normally packaged food is acceptable going into Japan - they are much more relaxed than Australia or New Zealand (basically instant fines for undeclared food).

If in doubt, check with the customs people when you arrive.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Japan food through toll/customs question 2015/8/24 07:28
I just feel a slight scare when thinking about asking the customs people at spot, seeing scenes from Australia where it is fine even if you throw away the food at spot (many people seem to have missed this fact of declaring all food because of language barrier...)

https://static.mathem.se/shared/images/products/large/svartpeppar-hel-pase-22g-santa-maria-1578909153.jpg

This is what the package looks like anyway. It's opened since I used some of these earlier but it is no "live" food I think. Should I just bring it up and show it perhaps?
by Customs (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japan food through toll/customs question 2015/8/24 07:55
Here is link to the English website for Japanese Customs:
http://www.customs.go.jp/english/summary/passenger.htm

I honestly do think that packaged peppercorns are prohibited, so I would not worry about. I bring in packaged protein bars all the time as I have dietary restrictions, and I have never had a problem.

I would also not advise you to unnecessarily present yourself to a customs officer asking if your peppercorns are permitted as that will simply garner unwanted attention.

Finally, the customs procedures for Japan and Australia are different, and yes, Australia is exceptionally strict.

Hope this helps :)

by Ohara (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japan food through toll/customs question 2015/8/24 08:04
CORRECTION: I do NOT think that packaged peppercorns are prohibited. Accidentally forgot the "not."

You should have no problems with the peppercorns.

by Ohara (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japan food through toll/customs question 2015/8/24 08:25
Yes, Australia is strict but we need to be; we have a lot of sensitive native foliage and fauna that we need to protect from outside pests and diseases. Currently we're free of the citrus pest that has ravaged some American and Asian crops, at least two states are free of fruit fly and Western Australia has a special species of bee that is extremely sensitive.
We're just as strict with animals, since Australia is also rabies free - that's why we're taking the case of Johnny Depp's girlfriend illegally bringing her dogs into the country so seriously.
Better safe than sorry!
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japan food through toll/customs question 2015/8/24 08:33
I have never had a problem with Japanese customs over bringing western packaged food into the country. They are far more lenient than my home country of New Zealand, and also Australia.
by LoveJapan (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japan food through toll/customs question 2015/8/24 08:59
Compared to Australia, where I live seems there is no real customs at all. Just about anything slips through and now we got weird diseases and mosquitoes and stuff spreading. Wouldn't be surprised to find a black widow spider here, but might be too cold fortunately.

I understand your way of being strict. Though it looks overly strict from an outsider's view if you read my description above. Maybe people are too laidback when it comes to flying abroad.

Anyway I thank you all very much for your reassuring replies on this. I never thought of this issue before as I have travelled to Japan several times before (no food brought though).
by Customs (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japan food through toll/customs question 2015/8/24 10:53
Just read the customs form carefully and declare if it asks you to (can't remember from memory if you have to declare packaged foods). Like an previous poster said, don't draw attention to it if you don't have to.

If people actually read Australian customs forms, they'd realise they can bring in a lot more than they think. Customs is looking for fruit products, wood products, grains/seeds/etc.; but not chocolates, candies, factory-made items, etc. If in doubt, declare and then have a Customs officer check it - doesn't take that long because they usually just need a quick look. I brought fruit jams back from Canada and once they saw the packaged jar just waved me through.
by sq (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japan food through toll/customs question 2015/8/24 12:34
Another useful example is honey - we take it as presents for friends in Japan because it is a good gift - but we'd never try to bring it back to NZ - it would get binned even if packaged/unopened.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

reply to this thread