Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Best location to experience Mount Fuji 2015/8/30 00:49
Hello,

I am heading to Japan on Friday and it looks like the ropeway in Hakone is still closed. I would really like to get some great views of Mount Fuji while I'm there but I'm not sure where I should go to make a day trip from Tokyo.

I have a JR rail pass. Should I be going to Hakone (even though ropeway is down) or Fuji Five Lakes or both? What is the best way to get there using the JR pass? What are some fun things to do around Mount Fuji?

Thanks!
by Pyreyna  

Re: Best location to experience Mount Fuji 2015/8/30 09:42
In my opinion, Mount Fuji is most impressive from its base. The northern base around the Fuji Five Lakes has many tourist attractions besides views of the mountain. So, I recommend to visit the Fuji Five Lakes:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6900.html
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Best location to experience Mount Fuji 2015/9/1 02:04
Kawaguchi I think is the best area,

I have been there three times already and still love that view!
Do note that JR Pass will only be covered until Otsuki Station. The FujiQ section you will need to pay as well as bus around Kawaguchi area.

But I would also recommend renting a car if you can, more flexible with your time in Kawaguchi but also do note you need International Driving Permit.

Hope this helps!
Have Fun!!!!
by Koohii2wii rate this post as useful

Re: Best location to experience Mount Fuji 2015/9/3 02:47
I personally think that the best view of Mt Fuji is being able to see its perfect reflection in the lake.

I have personnally visited 3 out of the 5 lakes and the best is Shoji lake which has a shape of a shoe-horse. It is a small lake and quite remote as compared to the other lakes. The water is so calm that you can see the perfect reflection. There is also few people / tourists around the lake and not spoiling the atmosphere with louds screams, kids running around and blocking a good photo shoot.

I think one of the worst or most common view is actually from the Kawaguchiko. I have driven/walked around this lake and I will say that it offers good views but definitely not the best and it is nothing compared to the one at Shoji lake. I guess this lake is too big that you can't really see a perfection reflection of Mt Fuji in the water.

This is based on my own personal experience.

by blue11sky rate this post as useful

Re: Best location to experience Mount Fuji 2015/9/3 17:54
Thanks for the tips. I had exactly the same question as I don't have much time but I'll pass when driving with hire care from NRT aiport to Toyama next Tuesday.

Steven
by Steven (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread