Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Hokkaido: Transport, City 2015/8/31 11:13
Hi,

Thinking of Hokkaido next year. Specifically Eastern Hokkaido. I'll be with family and am thinking of visiting nature parks. So that would mean Akan, Kushiro... and whatever else is listed on JG

My question is: Is it feasible to stay in one city and make day trips out to the other sights? Is there a city that would be a good base? Could someone recommend a nice place to stay at. Preferably a Japanese style hotel, as in having tatami.

My next question is: Are the roads easy here? Is getting a rental car a better idea or is using the local rail sufficient?

If I include Daisetsuzan would I need another base city?

Any other recommendation for Autumn? Furano, Biei?
by joshua hugh (guest)  

Re: Hokkaido: Transport, City 2015/8/31 14:58
My opinion for Hokkaido is, if you are able, do rent a car especially on the Eastern Hokkaido area, though to be fair, I had only been to Utoro and Abashiri (briefly pass through Kushiro).

However during my research for the trip, I found out that the trains are NOT frequent in Hokkaido, especially the Eastern side. For example, to visit Tancho Park in Kushiro, car probably will be more efficient, the same with (especially with) Akan.

I personally do not feel Hokkaido is suitable using city as base, especially in Eastern Hokkaido. Trains are not as frequent and even driving will be long distance due to the size of Hokkaido alone.... Eastern Hokkaido probably best city would be Kushiro as base but North travel will be quite troublesome (though depending when you travel, they might have SL train running from Kushiro to Shibecha etc).

Apart from Akan, Nature park that I can immediately think of is Shiretoko (we were in Utoro during Winter).

There are many traditional Ryokan in Akan area too. Not sure about Furano and Biei since there is nothing to see during our trip during Winter.
by vinces7 rate this post as useful

Re: Hokkaido: Transport, City 2015/8/31 16:48
Okay. The reason for wanting a base hotel is that we (especially the driver) is tired we can just rest in the hotel room or the onsen. Thinking of the 10 am check out and 3pm check in makes me slightly worried. Looking for a more free itinerary instead of having to find the next hotel.

If driving is difficult and the distance far apart then surely no.
The most I have ever driven was Yosemite to San Fransico, and it caused severe lamba pains.

I am open to having more than one base hotel. But I do not want one of those trips where I change accommodation every day. I've done that before when I was touring Kyushu and though exciting, I am looking for a more relaxing trip for Hokkaido. Of course, if you feel that returning to the same hotel is a waste of time and fuel which in turn results in less fun then I might reconsider.

Hoping for some suggestions for base cities and if you disagree on this plan, at least some great hotels (That does not costs 1000USD/person/night).
by joshua hugh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Hokkaido: Transport, City 2015/8/31 17:38
Depending where you want to go I guess but here are my opinion for base and possible destination from it (base of my experience last trip and my research etc):

My proposed itinerary is probably clockwise or anti-clockwise of the following (just adjust as needed):
- Membatsu Airport (Abashiri)
- Abashiri
- Train (Norokko, not sure if they run during Autumn tho) to Shiretoko-Shari
- Either Stay at Shiretoko-Shari or bus to Utoro to access to Shiretoko National Park etc
- Bus to Shiretoko-Shari, Train (might have SL train from Shibecha) , to Kawayu for Akan?
- Akan http://japan-guide.com/e/e6805.html
- Train/Bus/Drive to Kushiro
- Kushiro
- Travel to Nemuro?
- Train To Obihiro (the last remaining Banba race in Hokkaido I believe)
- Train to Asahikawa (use as base? for Daisetsuzan, Furano, Biei etc)

So pretty much:
1. Utoro as base for Shiretoko National Park
2. Kushiro as base for Tancho Park, Akan, Nemuro
3. Obihiro/Tokacchi as base for Furano/Biei etc
4. Asahikawa for Furano/Biei/Daisetsuzan etc

We stayed at http://shiretoko.co.jp/ last trip, definitely one of our better stay though our room is pricey, open air private onsen facing ocean. Though, there are many hotel in those surroundings.

Asahikawa, we stayed at Asahikawa Grand Hotel, though I won't recommend it as it is some distance away from the station, though it is more lenient with the check in time.. We were there early (as usual, to drop bags) at around noon, and were allowed to check in, definitely one of the rare hotel I had encountered that allow early check in. The hotel is posh but a little old unfortunately..

Abashiri do not have much selection, easiest will be Abashiri Toyoko Inn or Central Hotel.

Akan has many ryokan too, in face, I think they have many traditional ryokan too but can be pricey...

I had included Kushiro and Obihiro in my first plan but unfortunately had to scrap it due to time restraint so I do not have much personal experience here..

Re: Hokkaido: Transport, City 2015/8/31 17:41
I do mean, in fact*..

Re: Hokkaido: Transport, City 2015/9/1 15:12
Thought in face was a colloquial term for 'on the surface it appears to be' for a moment there

Thanks for the help. Do you have any idea how long is good to stay in each place and how long the hikes are? I've mentioned that my uncle can't walk too long.

Re: Hokkaido: Transport, City 2015/9/1 15:22
Unfortunately, I was there during winter where most places are closed.
Shiretoko National Park and Orokko (Utoro) is closed during the winter..
However, assuming I am driving and making another trip to Hokkaido.
Abashiri 1-2 days (to be fair not much here but they have a few unique spots)

Shiretoko-Shari (either use as base or probably just a day or less? does not seems to have much stuff here when riding onbus)

Utoro or Raushu (use as base for Shiretoko National Park, probably 2-4 days combined? )

Akan (I would at least try have 2 days here, can be combined with Kawayu if there is nothing much to see)

Kushiro (1-2 days or more, depending if you plan to go to Nemuro and Tancho Park)

Obihiro (1 day probably but can be used as base for Furano)

Asahikawa (good base to go to Biei, Furano, Daisetsuzan or even Wakanai Rishisi (which is actually a place I regret that I could not include on last trip)) - How many days here depending on how many days you want to spend on Daisetsuzan, there are many spots to cover in Daisetsuzan and car is definitely highly recommended. My last research indicated that about 2-3 days would be my minimum for Daisetsuzan.. There are multi spots that you can rest for a night in Daisetsuzan, eg. Sounkyo ‘w‰_‹¬ for example.

As for how long the hikes are... I have no idea...

Re: Hokkaido: Transport, City 2015/9/1 17:19
But mustnt you do some hiking to get from the bus stop or the car park to the lake or some famous sightseeing spot? For example the Shiretoko Five Lakes takes half to an hour and a half, but places like Akan Lake just requires stopping somewhere along the lake or even viewing it from the hotel. Same for Kawayu and Kushiro Lake I take it?

reply to this thread