Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Hokkaido in November 2015 (4 days) 2015/9/2 10:15
Hi! My friend and I will arrive in Sapporo on 11 November and departing 15 November, leaving us four days to explore this wonderful place. We know it's not enough and it's also not the best time to visit, therefore we wish to seek advice on where to go for the best experience as we are first timers to Hokkaido :)

Day 1: head to Lake Toya Onsen, explore Noboribetsu, overnight in Lake Toya

Day 2: head to Hakodate or Niseko?? This is the part we are uncertain about. Overnight at either Hakodate or Niseko

Day 3: head to Sapporo city, explore Sapporo, overnight Sapporo

Day 4: day trip to Otaru, overnight Sapporo city

We checked numerous sites for hotel bookings in Sapporo but the city hotels are all full! Isn't it a lull period to visit? Hope someone can enlighten us, thank much in advance for your replies!

by Dazzlette (guest)  

Re: Hokkaido in November 2015 (4 days) 2015/9/2 11:17
I kinda like Hakodate and I do believe 2 days will do the city more justice rather than half or a day trip.

The reason why it is full is because you are booking room in the weekends, hotel tend to be more expensive and occupied during weekend in Japan.. I checked with one of the hotel I stayed with and the hotel only full from Friday to Sunday , November 13 14 15
by vinces7 rate this post as useful

Re: Hokkaido in November 2015 (4 days) 2015/9/2 15:46
@Vinces: Does that mean pull Hakodate out? I think spending one night and one morning in Hakodate would be good. There is a lack of time.

@OP: You can go to noboribetsu in the day. Hike/trek a bit. Maybe see Lake Kuttaro. Go to an onsen to recharge. Then night at Lake Toya. Sunrise over the lake as you do a morning walk. Then off to Hakodate...?
by joshua hugh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Hokkaido in November 2015 (4 days) 2015/9/2 16:25
@Joshua: The biggest consideration for Hakodate with limited time is the time needed to travel there.

With only 4 days itinerary from the OP, I feel they will not be experiencing much from what Hakodate can offer. And most importantly, the precious time loss. Not sure what other feel about Hakodate, I kinda enjoy it there. I was there for 2 days during winter, manage to cover most of the "attraction sites" but was unable to travel out of Hakodate to nearby areas etc.

If you have more time to spare, do include Hakodate, if not, best to skip it and focus on other places.

For OP, the option is still present for Hakodate trip if they decide to opt out Niseko but, here is the scenario:
Trip to Niseko from Toya : ~110min
Trip to Hakodate from Toya : ~110min

Niseko to Sapporo: 140-280min (choose your train carefully especially in Hokkaido)
Hakodate to Sapporo: 210min via Super Hokuto

So it is matter of preferences, and personally Hakodate, Kanazawa and Matsue are some of the towns that I will definitely go back again.
(Plus, I am not too big with skiing etc, and Niseko activities are mainly that... If skiing is the main objective, then Niseko seems to be popular choices among foreigners these days.)
by vinces7 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread