Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Hiroshima to Hakone to Tokyo 2015/9/2 22:48
I am looking to travel from Hiroshima to Hakone and then Tokyo. I would like to spend one night and day in Hakone. I have seen that you can access Hakone from multiple stops and am wondering what the best option is for time/cost/ scenic views (Odawara, Mishima, etc).

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
by Jason (guest)  

Re: Hiroshima to Hakone to Tokyo 2015/9/3 11:00
Hakone-Yumoto is 4+ hours away from Hiroshima (hyperdia.com/en), and that's using the Nozomi shinkansen on which JR Passes are not valid. If you set out from Hiroshima at 6am, you wouldn't reach Hakone-Yumoto until 11am.

I would suggest travelling to Tokyo from Hiroshima in the afternoon/evening, spending a night in Toyko and then heading out to Hakone. This will maximise your daytime hours in Hakone.

Which route you take will depend on what you want to do, as well. Are you doing the Round Course? If so, you could travel straight to Hakone and do the Round Course over two days with a night in between. The route also depends on any travel passes you might hold or buy (e.g. JR Pass, Odakyu Hakone FreePass, etc.).
by sq (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Hiroshima to Hakone to Tokyo 2015/9/3 11:27
So many criterias. I would keep things simple and take a bullet train to Atami. From there, I would take a coach to Hakone.
by joshua hugh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Hiroshima to Hakone to Tokyo 2015/9/3 11:46
It depends on where in Hakone you want to focus on.

Accessing from Atami gets you to Moto-hakone/Hakonemachi area first, Accessing from Odawara gets you to Hakone-yumoto first.

Possibly going via Atami, getting to Hakonemachi then taking the boat across the lake to Togendai, and taking the detour bus to Gora (this is because the are around Owakudani is closed currently) and staying over in Gora would be fine :)

If you want to make a full use of the Hakone area only Hakone Free Pass (by Odakyu), then going via Odawara (then you buy the Pass there) would be a suggestion.

Select "To/From Osaka" on this travel guide:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e5206.html
...and add the travel time from Hiroshima :)
by AK rate this post as useful

reply to this thread