Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Good job! in Japanese 2015/9/3 00:10

Could anyone please tell me how to say: Good Job! Good work ! In Japanese.
by liem (guest)  

Re: Good job! in Japanese 2015/9/3 10:05
Who are you going to say it to? And how casual/formal you want the phrase to be?

A teacher to his/her students can say "yoku dekimashita," but this can sound condescending if said to peers/colleagues.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Good job! in Japanese 2015/9/3 14:32

Thanks AK.
I am trying to show appreciation of a job well done. It is a casual remark among adults.
by liem (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Good job! in Japanese 2015/9/3 16:23
"Otsu-kare-sama-deshita"
Would sound just fine enough for most of the scene.
by Alpha3Omega rate this post as useful

Re: Good job! in Japanese 2015/9/4 00:58
I would say "jyo deki!" 上出来, well done。
"otsukaresama" can be used for any situations, i.e. after finishing a project/job, the end of a work day, returning from a trip, etc.
by ay (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Good job! in Japanese 2015/9/4 06:58
Otsukaresamadeshita is the safest phrase you can use among adults. It's possible to omit "deshita" or even "samadeshita" depending on how close you are with the person, but we commonly use the whole phrase even among our closest friends.

For the record, I have heard "jyo deki" used inappropriately, in a speech. Perhaps the speaker chose the word because it's easier to pronounce, but there are many situations you can't use it in.

If you want to add impact or if you want to emphasize the fact that the skill was of high level, another nice little word is "o-mi-goto!" But this is a tricky word too. If you are superior than the people who did the "job", the word would go down well at the end of a speech.

Always clarify your context when asking for translations.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Good job! in Japanese 2015/9/4 10:24
"yoku dekimashita," "jyo deki!" "o-mi-goto!"
all these words may be used, when a higher-position person tells to a lower-position person, like from a teacher to a student.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Good job! in Japanese 2015/9/4 11:05

Thank you Alpha3Omega, ay , Uco, Ken for the replies.

Would it be appropriate to say "おつかれさまでした" in this very occasion?

Re: Good job! in Japanese 2015/9/4 12:05

I don't know what the occasion is, but I've already answered what I can answer judging from your previous posts.

Re: Good job! in Japanese 2015/9/4 12:29
I guess it depends on what that "job" was, and exactly on what occasion. Please let me try to come up with some examples (I'm not saying those are the only phrases you can say, of course, but just want to share the nuance.)

As I mentioned in my first post, let's say in an elementary school, a teacher might praise a kid who's just completed a good painting - "Yoku dekimashita." The same thing that a teacher might say to a schoolkid who just finished a math equation correctly at the whiteboard.

Let's say in a corporate environment, your colleague leads a project for a new product, and it gets successfully launched. She gets that recognized by the boss in front of everyone. She returns to her desk near yours, then if you want to praise her, you'd say "omedetou" ("congratulations" - for her success).

The same situation in a corporate environment (but from a different position): your subordinate leads a project for a new product, and it gets successfully launched. You (male boss) might praise your subordinate by saying "Yoku yatta!" (Well done).

Another one in a corporate environment, your colleague comes back from a visit to a client, from where she's received a big order, she tells you. Then you could say "otsukaresama deshita" or "omedetou."

In the same situation, the boss (male) might once again say "Yoku yatta."

Another one - let's say you are working in an English language school, and a student that your colleague has taught intensively passes a big English language proficiency test. She comes and tells you that. You might say "yokatta ne" (That is great). (The reason I'm making the distinction is because it is her you are complimenting on how she helped the student, not the student who passed the test.)

So what is "the occasion"? :)

Re: Good job! in Japanese 2015/9/4 13:01

UCO, I was asking if it was appropriate to use that phrase to say "well done" to all of you for your generous feedbacks.

Re: Good job! in Japanese 2015/9/4 13:17

AKA, again many thanks.

So what is "the occasion"? :)

A Japanese TT player produced a stunning shot that won the competition for our club. I was trying to say " well done as well as good shot ! "

Re: Good job! in Japanese 2015/9/4 16:53
UCO, I was asking if it was appropriate to use that phrase to say "well done" to all of you for your generous feedbacks.

Oh, thanks! Yes, that's fine, but for the record, "arigatougozaimashita" or "tasukarimashita (it was helpful for me)" are probably the most commonly used expressions in a Q&A site.

A Japanese TT player produced a stunning shot that won the competition for our club. I was trying to say " well done as well as good shot ! "

Is TT table tennis? If so, another very common expression I can think of is "sasuga desu!" You can just say "sasuga!" without the "desu" if the other person is a really close buddy such as a team-mate who is the same level or junior to you.

"Sasuga" is one of those unique Japanese words that is a bit difficult to translate to English, but it literally means "Just as one would expect of you, you are/were impressing." It's kind of similar to "I knew we could count on you!"

You can say something like "(That was a ) Nice shot! Sasuga desu!" because "nice shot" is an imported expression that is commonly used in sports scenes in Japan.

Re: Good job! in Japanese 2015/9/5 12:49
Yes, as Uco-san said, when someone gives you good answers on a forum, if you said "good job," even in English that would sound a bit... arrogant. So saying "thank you" or "that was helpful" (as suggested) would be the right phrases to say :)

"Nice shot!" (in English) is a common phrase used in tennis, golf, etc. of course immediately after the good shot has been made. "Sasuga!" or "Yatta ne!" (we/you did it!) with a thumb-up gesture and a smile would be used too :)

Re: Good job! in Japanese 2015/9/7 10:57

Again Uco, AK, many thanks for your advices.

reply to this thread