Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Onsen + Ryokan outside Tokyo in 1st wk of Dec 2015/9/3 02:20
Hi All,

I am planning to bring my family to Tokyo in 1st week of Dec. Thinking of bringing them to visit a ryokan with onsen outside Tokyo (but still within Kanto region) whereby we can still see the autumn maples leaves.

(1) Is it still possible to see autumn maples leaves in Kawaguchiko or Hakone or other areas within Kanto region in early Dec?

(2) Any specific ryokan + onsen that you can recommend within the Kanto region whereby autumn maples leaves can still be seen?

Thank you.
by blue11sky  

Re: Onsen + Ryokan outside Tokyo in 1st wk of Dec 2015/9/3 11:48
There will be leaves. But it would be past the peak. It isn't impressive to look at.
by joshua hugh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Onsen + Ryokan outside Tokyo in 1st wk of Dec 2015/9/3 13:00
I'd try Enoshima before Hakone, especially if you have kids. Enoshima is a great little island, really interesting with dragon themes, the accommodation at Iwamotoro is excellent with really interesting onsen baths (one in a cave, the other is a roman style), and it is all a great little train ride along the oceanfront away from the temples and things at Kamakura.

I've been there in December and it was great because it isn't as busy as it gets in summer. Dont know about the leaves, but Kamakura and Enoshima are very heavily forested in parts so there'd be as good a chance of having them there as anywhere.

I didn't really appreciate Hakone that much for the onsens. The water is soft and silky, but it is full of sulphur so everything smells like farts.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Onsen + Ryokan outside Tokyo in 1st wk of Dec 2015/9/3 14:52
Enoshima no but kamakura yes. Some trees are evergreen and the leaves don't fall.

Autumn near Tokyo, Makes me think of Nikko. Just the distance may be a pain.
by joshua hugh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Onsen + Ryokan outside Tokyo in 1st wk of Dec 2015/9/3 17:03
Cheers. I was thinking Nikko is colder than anywhere else so it'd be likely to have the leaves brown off early. There is a bit of a foresty area at the top of Enoshima, we saw the resident squirrel there. But I'm a big Enoshima fan for overnight stays, so I plug it whenever I can...
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Onsen + Ryokan outside Tokyo in 1st wk of Dec 2015/9/3 17:20
Although the peak of koyo varies from year-to-year, the autumn foliage in Nikko has usually peaked by the end of October (early November at the latest).

The colors peak first in the mountainous areas and last in central Nikko.
by Ohara (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread