Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

What happens to our luggage? 2015/9/3 20:22
Hi
We have a 10hour layover in Haneda international, and was thinking of booking a transit room at the Royal Park Hotel, but were wondering what would happen to our luggage while we wait for our next flight as we will not be going through customs?

Many thanks in advance
by Ray (guest)  

Re: What happens to our luggage? 2015/9/4 00:03
Is your luggage checked through to your final destination from whichever domestic airport you initially checked them in? If so, then you won't see them until you arrive at your final destination.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: What happens to our luggage? 2015/9/4 01:08
Actually, I would double check with the gate agent before getting on the plane and again once you arrive in Tokyo. Some airlines require you to take bags when the layover is 10 or more hours long.

Hope this helps!!
Have Fun!!
by Koohii2wii rate this post as useful

Re: What happens to our luggage? 2015/9/4 02:34
We are arriving on a international flight to Haneda and will be flying to Australia with Qantas, so am i right in thinking that we would check in with Qantas for our next flight with our bags before we check in to the transit hotel even through the flight is 10 hours later?
by Ray (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: What happens to our luggage? 2015/9/4 02:45
The only way you will get the correct answer is to ask the airline.
by Dick H rate this post as useful

Re: What happens to our luggage? 2015/9/4 06:24
As far as I remember, when coming from an international flight doing DOMESTIC flight (yours was international to international right?) you have to take your bags through customs first and then checking them in again.
by Geng (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: What happens to our luggage? 2015/9/4 07:28
This may be absurd to think, but, since this is an international flight to international flight and Haneda is just being used as a stop-over, does the passenger have the right to leave the airport at all? Will he/she be given a Temporary Visitor Status if they don't have a real reason to be in Japan? I've only taken non-stop flights, so this is new to me. I may be totally off, and I apologize for my ignorance in advance.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: What happens to our luggage? 2015/9/4 09:02
I see no reason why they can't be given Temporary Visitor Status. I've done this twice in other countries - Malaysia and Canada - and they simply questioned why I had written on the disembarkation form that I was only staying one day.

You will almost definitely need to pick up your bags, but you won't be able to check them onto your Qantas flight until the check-in counters open 3 hours before the flight. Check Haneda Airport's website for more information.
by sq (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: What happens to our luggage? 2015/9/4 11:04
Agree with SQ.

Luggage don't fly without their passengers. If you leave the airport the luggage will most likely be stuck in transit. Check with your first airline whether the luggage gets automatically delivered.

@JohnJapan: You can check out of the airport. Some people do that when transiting CDG just to see the Eiffel Tower.
by joshua hugh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: What happens to our luggage? 2015/9/4 23:32
Many thanks for everyone's advice, which is very much appreciated.

We have now decided not to stay at the transit hotel it just seems to be to much hard work, because we will arrive in Haneda at about 08.00 and our flight to Sydney is roughly at 22.00, so we are now looking at staying in a day room at the Haneda Excel Hotel in Domestic terminal 2 which seems to be a easier option.
by Ray (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread