Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Kyoto to Nagoya airport 2015/9/4 06:18
Will be leaving from Nagoya airport from Japan, staying in Kyoto the night before, flight leaving 11.55.

Checking Hyperdia found a Nozomi train with transfers arriving at airport by 8.00, meaning roughly 3-4 hours before flight. Not sure when check in opens but is this safe and doable?

For several reasons I need to stay around Kyoto area for that night and cant take a late night train to Nagoya.

Is there any discounts or something for the Kyoto - Nagoya shinkansen? My JR Pass has ended by the time I arrive in Kyoto... It would cost roughly 6000 JPY for it all.
by Koko (guest)  

Re: Kyoto to Nagoya airport 2015/9/4 11:42
I don't know why people care about the time when check-in opens. What matters is when it ends, and that's generally one hour, sometimes 90 minutes but never more than that, before departure, so you can be at the airport at 10:30 (confirm with your airline, the check-in deadline should be on their website).

One discount option for your Kyoto/Nagoya Shinkansen trip it the Platt Kodama, but you can buy it only in the Tokyo area: http://www.jrtours.co.jp/kodama/en/

Alternatively, you can leave early and take only local trains (untick the Shinkansen boxes on Hyperdia).
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Kyoto to Nagoya airport 2015/9/4 12:01
Possible by only local trains(not by Shinkansen to Nagoya ) If you can reach to JR Kyoto until 7:00 am.
http://www.hyperdia.com/en/cgi/en/search.html?dep_node=KYOTO&arv_node=...

If cannot "no way" pay Shinkansen fee all.

Or if flight booking yet(or changing possible) find from KIX fright recommend.
by MPS (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kyoto to Nagoya airport 2015/9/4 12:01
If it is an international flight, then it does indeed matter when check-in time opens as it is highly recommended to arrive 3 hours before departure, not 90 minutes…..

Going by what the OP has written, it appears that the flight is at the end of the trip and is a flight out of Japan. But I may be wrong!
by Ohara (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kyoto to Nagoya airport 2015/9/4 12:03
"Highly recommended" by whom?
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Kyoto to Nagoya airport 2015/9/4 12:17
THE AIRLINES!!!
by Ohara (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kyoto to Nagoya airport 2015/9/4 18:16
Firas,
When travelling another time (not Japan) the transfer bus got us to the airport about 2 hours before departure.

The check in queue was so long so when we finally got through we had barely time to buy some water for the flight and find the gate...

I don't suggest the OP to be put in such a situation.

Now, Japan is a highly effective country compared to other countries so check in is normaly smooth but finding the right way and you know. I suppose you are used to being there in the last hour but others might not be. In case of delays or problems on the way... 2 hours might as well shrink into 1 hour or 30 minutes or 0 minutes.... See my point?
by Fox (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kyoto to Nagoya airport 2015/9/5 06:04
I find quite doable (and safe) to take Nozomi to Nagoya 7:06-7:41 and then change to Meitetsu Line to Central Japan International Airport 8:00 - 8:39, but as Meitetsu has good frequenciesmit could be a similar one. You have to know that there is an almost 10 minute walk from Shinkansen tracks to Meitetsu Station in Nagoya. For the Meitetsu train, I was very confuesed about which ticket to buy and ended paying local fare but next train was limited express; I took that train and I only had to pay the tiny limited express fee on board.

If you want to pay a cheaper shinkansen ticket you could try the Puratto Kodama Plan for just 4200yen, the problem is that the first Kodama departs Kyoto at 7:59, arriving Nagoya 8:56 (and then changing to Meitetsu 9:20-9:48), I think it is doable but riskier. You could do it even cheaper using Kintetsu Line to arrive Nagoya, but considering the amount of time taken (with some transfers on the run) I would not consider it as an option

by Pablo (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread