Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Time Needed for Each Dewa Sanzan Shrine? 2015/9/6 14:09
About how much time is necessary at each of the Dewa Sanzan shrines (Haguro-san, Gassan, and Yudonosan)?

Also how long is the walk from Gassan to Yudono-san? I have read conflicting timeframes for this. Will the buses all be running during Silver Week or some only on weekends?

I'd like to visit them in proper order and it seems to be possible in a single day even by public transport, but if a lot of time is needed at each, Id rather make it two days than make it one day focused more on bus times than the shrines.
by Rabbityama  

Re: Time Needed for Each Dewa Sanzan Shrine? 2015/9/6 17:56
very good question. i have the same :-)

additionally maybe someone could add, where you would make a recommended overnight say (if needed) and if there are also some good recommended onsen in this area...
by Glimpigumpi rate this post as useful

Re: Time Needed for Each Dewa Sanzan Shrine? 2015/9/7 20:55
Anyone know?
by Rabbityama (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Time Needed for Each Dewa Sanzan Shrine? 2015/9/8 00:15
I was going to give a vague answer based on my trip there, but this is much better than I could have written.
http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g1023682-d1397247-r26605441...
by girltokyo (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Time Needed for Each Dewa Sanzan Shrine? 2015/9/8 08:11
If you want to do it in order and by public transportation, then I recommend you stay overnight at Haguro-san. There is a shukubo:
http://templelodging.com/spot/01tohoku/dewa005.html

And then do an early start by bus to the 8th Station of Gassan. You need to be in good shape in order to complete the entire hike to Yudono san in a single day. I think you have to complete it (and the visit to Yudonosan which takes about 30-60 minutes) by 16:45 when the last bus returns to Tsuruoka. I personally have not done the section between Gassan and Yudonosan and cannot comment on its difficulty.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Time Needed for Each Dewa Sanzan Shrine? 2015/9/8 14:50
It takes at least 2 days to visit three shrines.

I recommend you to follow this route.
1st day: Visit haguro-san and stay in Tsuruoka city.
2nd day: Leave Tsuruoka station around 6 am by bus and arrive at the 8th grade of Gassan at 8 am. It takes about 3 hours from the 8th grade to Gassan shrine on foot.
If you go to Yudono-san shrine on foot from Gassan, it takes about 3 hours, and the last bus to Tsuruoka city leaves Yudono-san around 4:40 pm. If you cannot arrive there before 4:40pm, you can stay in Yudonosan- sanrojo.
Bus runs during silver Week.

Yudonosan-sanrojo
http://www.dewasanzan.jp/publics/index/77/
by YI (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Time Needed for Each Dewa Sanzan Shrine? 2015/9/27 18:17
I will reply to my own question now that I have done it for those who may find this post later.

It is possible to do all three in one day (based on current bus time schedules) if you do it on the days in which the early buses operate. You must take the first morning bus to Hagurosan (departing Tsuruoka Station at 6:02am). There is only about 1 hour until the next bus to Gassan which MUST be taken in order to visit all of them in a single day. The Treasure House and museums in the area will not be open. Get off the bus at the gate and walk up (the correct way to do it). If you walk up, you'll get off the bus at 6:35am and need to be at the top to be on the bus by 8:05am to Gassan.

If you start at the top, you'll get off at 6:50am and need to be at the bottom to take the bus at 7:35am, so it's not recommended.

You'll arrive at Gassan 8th Station around 9:00am and you'll need to catch the 4:45pm bus from Yudonosan (or at 4:50pm from the bus stop outside the Visitor Center just below). I think it's plenty of time for someone of average fitness to complete including visiting the two shrines. Hagurosan is where you'll need to watch the time the most.
by Rabbityama rate this post as useful

reply to this thread