Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Miyajima Island 2015/9/11 02:56
Hi All,

There is a group of four of us, all girls, going to Japan this fall. We are headed to Miyajima this October for 1 day, staying in Hiroshima the night before and night of. We are planning to hike up to Mt Misen and back down. One of our party has foot problems and does not wish to hike. We know there is a tram, but she wants to know what she can do around the island while we hike (besides shop). I saw there is an aquarium, is that any good? Any suggestions? (she only speaks a handful of phrases)

Thanks.
by Liz (guest)  

Re: Miyajima Island 2015/9/11 10:45
There is no tram on Miyajima island. There is a ropeway to Mt. Misen that leaves only 1 kilometre to hike to the peak, but it is steep and won't be accessible for her with her foot problems.

I haven't been to the aquarium, but she could visit Itsukushima Shrine, Daisho-in Temple, and see the deer in the park and around the town. In the shopping area, she can watch momiji manju (local sweet) being made in some shop windows, and see the giant rice spoon. There are also less taxing walking trails - take a look at the Miyajima page on this website. She should have plenty to do.
by sq (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Miyajima Island 2015/9/11 11:40
Like sq said, there is tons to do, although a lot of those things you'll probably want to do together. The aquarium on Miyajima has been recently renovated and is nice enough. Might be a good way to spend the time that you guys are apart if she actually has an interest in it.

FYI sq, ropeways are called aerial trams (sometimes shortened to tram) in some countries, so the OP presumably knows what she is talking about.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Miyajima Island 2015/9/11 12:53
Yeah, I figured that might be the case. That's why I talked about the ropeway straight after. Since there are trams that you can take in the process of getting to Miyajima, I figured it was an important distinction.
by sq (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Miyajima Island 2015/9/11 13:37
Miyajimi is very nice. We went to the aquarium maybe 7 years ago now. It is pretty typical of aquariums (aquaria?) in Japan, though watching the electric eels get a charge was interesting, as were the porpoises inside and out. Probably about a 1 hour thing, maybe a little more if you watch the shows. Otherwise there are always the deer to keep you amused, though they are a bit motheaten at Miyajima compared to Nara.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Miyajima Island 2015/9/11 17:16
Two options spring to mind (my wife has some broken toes currently). one is to say around the lower areas of the island - the main shrine and area. Second, is to take some time to explore Hiroshima some more - it is a pretty city and often you can find interesting things by walking around, even with foot problems.

If you can book in advance, the Mazda museum/factory could be interesting (I'm still trying to get there).
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Miyajima Island 2015/9/12 16:37
If she is still able to walk some, there are other places to see as well in the area. Itsukushima is the biggest sight on the island and should not be a problem. Daishoin really is the second best place, although there are some climbing of stairs involved. Senjokaku and the aquarium are not bad either, and both Momiji Park and Omoto Park are nice to walk around.
If you'd like to get a good preview of the area, I suggest you look at
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDLB51ZdxTc
and see if it fits well to what your friend is able to do.
by Ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Miyajima Island 2015/9/13 09:20
Thanks everyone! I have never used the ropeway but I knew it was there. I have let my friend know it is still a steep climb to the top. She is thinking given her foot problems she might just see us at the bottom after the hike. Thank you for all the wonderful suggestions. We will have a full day in Hiroshima the day before and have been there on a previous trip in 2013. We really want to spend the whole day (of until the last ferry) on Miyajima.

Yes, yllwsmrf is correct. I am use to a ropeways being called a tram or aerial trams. Thank you.

Thank you everyone for responding and helping us out.
by Liz (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread