Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Tokyo Vacation in December 2015/9/22 17:02
Hi All,

I am planning to visit Tokyo in December this year. I haven't buy the flight ticket yet since I can't decide which date is the right time to go. I am travelling with kids (10 yrs, 6 yrs and 1 yr) and my purposes are below:-

1)Disneyland/Disneysea - Would it be too crowded during this month. How the crowd will be after mid Dec compared to early Dec?

2)Snow Experience for the kids to play around - Is this the right time to have experience with Snow?

If I am not mistaken, Japan School Holiday will start on 19 December. As for this, I'm thinking to go early December. But again, is there any chances that we can have experience with the snow?

Hopefully you can advise me and clear the doubts that I have in minds.

Thanks a lot
by ciyakie (guest)  

Re: Tokyo Vacation in December 2015/9/22 18:47
Don't expect snow in Tokyo as we have snow less than a week every year.
If you could change the destination, try to stay in Hokkaido, or Nagano, and if you could change the month of the vacation, late Jan to mid Feb is the best time to enjoy the snow there.

Please note during that period in Disneyland is freezing but fewer people.
Until the Christmas, Disneyland is beautifully decorated so it's nice to go there, if you can forget about snow experience.
by luludja rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo Vacation in December 2015/9/22 19:17
I see. Is there any ski resort near Mt Fuji that we can go even it is artificial snow? Will it be open during December?
by ciyakie (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo Vacation in December 2015/9/22 22:17
Artificial snow? Wow. Never heard that in Japan before.

Fuji itself is a snow capped mountain though I doubt you would want your kids to do any trekking. Nikko, Takayama, and Shirakawago has snow in December. Even the towns in between Nagoya and Kyoto has snow in December. As in more than ankle deep snow.
by jh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo Vacation in December 2015/9/22 22:28
For snow:

You can take the shinkansen to Karuizawa's Prince Snow Resort, which has artificial snow until it gets enough real snow. It has one of the earliest seasons, starting November 1st this year.

Another easy trip by Shinkansen is to Gala Yuzawa in Niigata. They are in the process of posting their season dates, but last year they opened late December, around the 20th.

Disney Land/Sea:

Check the crowd calendar for best dates: http://tdrnavi.jp/forecast/disneyland?lang=en

Weekdays through December seem fine until you hit the very end.
by scarreddragon rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo Vacation in December 2015/9/23 11:26
thank you all for the helpful tips and links :)
by ciyakie (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread