Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Driving out from Kagoshima city 2015/9/29 22:49
Helloes.

I will be using a rental car from Toyota Kagoshima Chuo shop in a few weeks and looking at the directions to drive out of the city looks a bit complicated. Of course it is not Tokyo or Osaka but still, it's a rather big city in my eyes.

I am heading either to the Sakurajima or Tiramizu ferry. The GPS directs me onto Neaples dori eastward from a smaller sidestreet where this rental shop is located.

I will pick up the car by 7 AM so I can get on the road as early as possible.

What about traffic jams and rush hour? It is rather close to Kagoshima Chuo station.

Anything I should keep in mind other than driving carefully? Should I take a detour on a smaller street with less traffic and lanes to get used to driving maybe?
by Swhen (guest)  

Re: Driving out from Kagoshima city 2015/9/30 12:51
Welcome to Kagoshima!

What about traffic jams and rush hour? It is rather close to Kagoshima Chuo station.

At 7 in the morning, the road is not so crowded. You will get into the traffic jam at 8 in the morning or at 5-6 in the evening.

Anything I should keep in mind other than driving carefully? Should I take a detour on a smaller street with less traffic and lanes to get used to driving maybe?

Basically smaller streets are for the locals and you should keep away from them. Some streets are one-way street which might be somewhat confusing for the first timers.
by frog1954 rate this post as useful

Re: Driving out from Kagoshima city 2015/9/30 15:19
Why not just follow the gps?
by Winter Visitor (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Driving out from Kagoshima city 2015/9/30 17:54
Well I thought Napoli dori looked a bit rushy since not used to driving in Japan cities. I will leave the shop at latest 7.30 I hope, heading either north to the Sakurajima or south to the Tiramizu ferry.

I have driven in cities like Stockholm were there are many lanes, cyclists and buses, and cars doing many sudden lane changes. If you are slow at green lights people honk at you like crazy for instance.

Not sure how Japanese drivers are compared to them here though.

There are other rental shops, one behind Kagoshima chuo station and another in Izuro but it opens 8 not 7. Want to get away fast since I have a long way to drive.
by Swehn (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Driving out from Kagoshima city 2015/9/30 18:51
Tiramizu ferry.

It should be Tarumizu.

I have driven in cities like Stockholm were there are many lanes, cyclists and buses, and cars doing many sudden lane changes. If you are slow at green lights people honk at you like crazy for instance.

Not sure how Japanese drivers are compared to them here though.

I have never been to Stockholm, but as compared to Frankfurt, the cars in Kagoshima are slower, I think. For the walking speed, Kagoshima is the second slowest big cities in Japan (the slowest is Naha). So if you are used to European speed, you don't need to worry about driving in Kagoshima. Actually, it is very laid-back city.

In the country side of Kagoshima, I sometimes experience the car in front of my car suddenly slow-down and finally stops without any notice. Some drivers behave like they are walking in the foot-path. Please be patient to the local drivers!
by frog1954 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread