Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

2 D - Nikko Trip 2015/9/30 14:12
Hello,
My family of 4 will be travelling to Nikko from Tokyo straight from Haneda Airport ( Arrival 0600) on 23 Dec (Wed). We were going to put the bulk of our luggage in Skytree Town Lockers Facilities and head to Asakusa to purchase Nikko Passes to go to Nikko for a night stay ( 2-Day Visit). We intend to arrive back at Tokyo about 4pm the next day.

We wish to visit the following attractions in Nikko:
A) The World Heritage Shrines(Toshogu / Rinnoji / Shinkyo)
B) Chuzenji Lake and Kegon Falls
C)Edomura Themepark
D) An Onsen Experience

Concerns:
1] Which Nikko Pass to purchase?
I understand some bus trips are included?
Admissions to attractions?
2] In what order to visit to save time?
3] In which area should I book the Ryokan / Hotel (Mid-Range
budget)?

Also:
Are the Marshes worth visiting in winter?
Any other 'must-see' places that I have missed considering i like a good mix of culture-nature.

Thank you in advance to any kind soul who can assist me!
by HyperMulan  

Re: 2 D - Nikko Trip 2015/10/5 22:59
Hi HyperMulan,

As far as the transport side of things go, I would look at either of these two options.

The JR Kanto pass
http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/kantoareapass/index.html
This one would be good as it covers your Narita Express train ride from the airport into Tokyo. It wouldn't cover any buses though.

The other option is the Tobu Nikko Free pass.
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2358_002.html
This one wouldn't cover your trip from Narita to Tokyo but it looks like it does cover some buses in the Nikko area.

Regarding accommodation, I would recommend staying as centrally as possible, close to either of the 2 train stations in Nikko, purely for ease of getting around on trains and buses etc.

Looking at what you want to do and see, I would start by catching the bus up to Lake Chuzenji and Kegon Falls. Catch the bus back down again and get off near the World Heritage Shrines. Rinnoji is closed for renovations at the moment, so there is not much to see there. However, across from Rinnoji (on the same Temple grounds) there is a great Japanese garden called Shoyoen (300 yen entry from memory). The garden is a beautiful Japanese garden and the entry fee also gives you access to a museum with a lot of exhibits related to the Tokugawa Shogunate. The Tokugawa family ruled Japan from 1603 to 1868.
I would then do the Edomura in the morning on the second day followed by the onsen before you go back to Tokyo. By that stage you will have been running around solid for a couple of days, so you will need the onsen!

I hope that helps. If you want some ideas for Tokyo, feel free to have a look at my travel blog: www.alifelessnormal.co

Enjoy the trip!

jase8au
by jase8au rate this post as useful

Re: 2 D - Nikko Trip 2015/10/7 10:52
Hi!
Thank you for your response to my query.
I will be arriving via Haneda Airport.

I am only going out of Tokyo to Nikko. So I think I will use the All Nikko pass. I have booked my Nikko accommodation at Okunikko Konishi Hotel.

We intend to arrive in Nikko around 9.30 am. We will visit the World heritage site and then move up to the Lake and Kegon Falls around 2. We will then check in when the sun sets. We will then have dinner and enjoy the Onsen in the hotel till bedtime.

Next morning, we proceed to Edomura and only head back to Tokyo after 2 pm.

We know Nikko is prettier in October but we hope to catch another view of it in winter.

Thanks so much for your inputs! Please feel free to correct and amend my itinerary if you think I'm making a mistake.
by HyperMulan rate this post as useful

reply to this thread