Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Meeting with Japan colleague 2015/10/1 15:52
Hi all,
When my colleague at Japan offices knew I'm going to Tokyo for vacation, she said she will take me out to izakaya for hang out. Both of us are ladies.

I have some questions for the culture and etiquette:
1. Will it be insulting to offer split bill?

2. I'm thinking to bring some gift/cookies. Since Tokyo will be after the visit to Aomori and Sendai, is it better to bring snack from Aomori or from my home country?

3. I heard that usually employees will hang out with colleagues after work. What is the chance she will bring other colleagues as well? Is this some social habit or personal preference?

Thank you.
by Moccy  

Re: Meeting with Japan colleague 2015/10/1 17:06
1. No, it will not be insulting. While she is likely to offer to cover everything as the "hostess," you can argue that since she has taken you out on your vacation and picked the place, it should be your treat, etc., and you might end up just splitting the bill :) But maybe splitting from the beginning might be the norm, depending on your age...)

2. Gift from your country will be better (unless it's something difficult to carry/easily breakable).

3. I would say personal preference - and it is on your vacation - any other colleague from the Japan office that you've met before? If you haven't met anyone else, I'd say probably it will just be her (but this is just my guess). (From a Japanese woman)
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Meeting with Japan colleague 2015/10/1 18:50
1, You don't have to expect to pay there, but it's a manner to ask her "do we share the payment?" .
If she paid all for you, you can invite her next time as you meet together and then pay for her. That's make sense.

2, You can bring some small gift from home.

3, She doesn't normally take friends other than your muturals.
by tokyo friend 48 rate this post as useful

Re: Meeting with Japan colleague 2015/10/2 00:06
in one restaurant you (try to) pay, in the next she will. repeat. that is nice and very polite and as a foreigener you generally anyhow will end up more invited, since japanese can be incredibly sneaky, quicky and persuasive when it comes to paying bills - especially if you managed to invite her one time before.

(e.g. at first restaurant try to pay while claiming to go on the toilet. this sounds strange, but trust me, after a while in japan you will get used to it)
by Glimpigumpi rate this post as useful

Re: Meeting with Japan colleague 2015/10/2 00:07
so rather than splitting bills in every restaurant, each of you take full bill at every place you go.
by Glimpigumpi rate this post as useful

Re: Meeting with Japan colleague 2015/10/2 13:02
Thank you for the great advises!

I met the Japan colleagues few weeks ago for the first time. If the other colleagues also tag along, maybe I'll bring more gifts for them.

For splitting bills, I'm not sure if I will have another chance to go out with her. Usually when dining out with some friend for the first time, I will ask how much is my share, so I was not sure if there's certain unspoken rule in Japan for this. Thanks for clarifying!
by Moccy rate this post as useful

reply to this thread