Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Kyoto to Tokyo airport - Train or Fly 2015/10/3 04:11
I am planning a trip to Japan with my family (2 adults, 2 children ages 6 and 8). We are planning on arriving in Tokyo and then making our way through the country via train over two weeks, ending up in Kyoto.

On our final day we are debating whether to fly from Kyoto to Tokyo in the morning to connect to an afternoon departure flight back to the U.S., or take the train from Kyoto to Tokyo in the morning to catch the departure flight back to the U.S.

A connecting flight from Kyoto adds about $200 to the return flight. I believe the train from Kyoto to Tokyo would be included in our Japan Rail Pass.

In addition to cost, though, a primary concern is ease of travel given the two children. I believe the train would take us to central Tokyo and we'd need to then catch another train to the Tokyo airport. However, the connection from the Kyoto flight is also a bit tight (1.5 hours). We definitely don't want to miss the connection!

Any advice? Thanks in advance!
by knoxnick37919 (guest)  

Re: Kyoto to Tokyo airport - Train or Fly 2015/10/3 10:36
I did it last year. You change trains at SHINAGAWA station (in Tokyo). Do NOT change at Tokyo station. The tracks are near each other at SHINAGAWA. We took the train from Kyoto around 0830. At Shinagawa we had enough time to buy a Bento (box lunch) to eat on the NEX to Narita.
For example:
Lv Kyoto 0833, Ar Narita 1231 with 5 mins. to change trains.
Lv Kyoto 0856, Ar Narita 1258 with 17 mins. to change trains.
by Dick H rate this post as useful

Re: Kyoto to Tokyo airport - Train or Fly 2015/10/3 11:12
I always take the morning train to Tokyo (Narita) from Kyoto. My flight always leaves in the late afternoon.

Dick H is spot on about changing trains for the NEX (Narita Express) at Shinagawa. Years ago, before I realized I could get the NEX from Shinagawa, I transferred at Tokyo Station. I got lost quite easily and it was a daunting experience that I wouldn't wish on anyone!

If you still have a day on your JR Pass, then the train is the best option. Why spend extra on airfarec

Hope this helps :)
by Ohara (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kyoto to Tokyo airport - Train or Fly 2015/10/3 11:18
Forgot to askcare you departing from Narita Airport or Haneda Airport?

Re: Kyoto to Tokyo airport - Train or Fly 2015/10/3 13:23
You're spot on about Shinagawa, but man, you got me worried about Tokyo Station. It can't be that hard if you do your homework, look at a station map and get an idea of where the different lines run. I know that for N'EX trains you go to the lowest floor of the JR section.
by Faiyez rate this post as useful

Re: Kyoto to Tokyo airport - Train or Fly 2015/10/3 13:32
I know that for N'EX trains you go to the lowest floor of the JR section.

The Marunouchi, that is.
by Faiyez rate this post as useful

Re: Kyoto to Tokyo airport - Train or Fly 2015/10/3 14:28
Trust me, from experience, I would not subject myself to the stress of the transfer at Tokyo Station.

It may , on a map, look as easy as the lower level; however, it is a HUGE station, very crowded, and really not easy to navigate unless you are very familiar with it. Indeed, even some locals find it overwhelming.

Stick with Shinagawa..it is stress free and a breeze to navigate.

Re: Kyoto to Tokyo airport - Train or Fly 2015/10/3 18:09
Never had any problem transferring from Sobu Line to Shinkansen at Tokyo station, just follow the signs. If anything, do not look at a map, it will make it look more complicated than it is and add stress.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Kyoto to Tokyo airport - Train or Fly 2015/10/3 20:31
Thanks for all the replies! Sounds like the train with the transfer is a great option!
by knoxnick37919 (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread