Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Teaching without a degree 2015/10/6 03:38
Good evening,

I would appreciate advise from absolutely anyone who thinks they know a thing or two on this subject.

I donft have a degree, I went straight to work and for personal reasons couldnt make it to university.

I went travelling last year and spent 6 months in Japan. Ifve been back a few times since for 2 weeks each time and I now find myself in love with the country and Ifve made so many friends there.

I decided to get a working holiday VISA (Ifm British) and it was approved and given to me last week.

Ifm going to live with friends in Japan for one year as my job at home has agreed to keep my position open for me.

My original plan was to turn up and look hard for a teaching job but the more and more I read the more I get nervous that I wonft find anything due to the fact I donft have a degree, itfs very annoying.

So many people on youtube and all over the internet say its more difficult without one, but possible, as the degree is mainly to cover the VISA issues, so if I have a legal VISA like my WHV then its okay, but that doesnt change the fact that EVERY job ad I have found so far says they require a degree???

Am I looking in the wrong place?

I have 6 months experience from volunteering teaching English in Japan during the summer, as well as a TEFL, and Ifm comfortable financially due to my job at home, and the best part is Im living with a friend so i only have to pay half the rent in Japan. I just feel so annoyed at myself for not having a degree.

Is it hopeless? I dont leave until the end of the year but im considering not going due to this irritating fear.

If itfs relevant, I will be living in Osaka and my Japanese language ability is intermediate.

thank you very much any advice would be appreciated.

John (male, age 25)
by dcd  

Re: Teaching without a degree 2015/10/6 10:16
Hi John,

I'm not a teacher so my advise might be limited.

It's true that working as an English teacher here required degree and if the school is a big one and well known they even required 3 years experience in teaching English. But that is if they will sponsor you for visa, as you mentioned you got a working holiday visa, with that if you'll ask me I won't be worried. Once you got here in Osaka you'll find lots of teaching English job, you can work part time English teacher too some parents look for an English teacher to teach their kids and will pay you per hour.

You have a visa now so I think you don't have to worry too much, though it maybe true that looking for a job is not easy but that's apply to any country not only Japan. Have faith in yourself.
by navi (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Teaching without a degree 2015/10/6 10:44
Yes you can work as English teacher in eikaixa school since your WHV cover it. The degree thingy is mostly relevant for visa purpose.
Though there migkt be some limitation on what you can do, and also eikaiwa tend not to hire for short term.
Being native speaker yov can skip the degree requirement for visa application.
by .. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Teaching without a degree 2015/10/6 17:08
Since you have Working Holiday Visa, the "degree" requirement does not apply in terms of immigration requirements, but this is only as far as that one year goes. (This means that should you ever change your mind and want to stay longer, you will need to find an employer who can sponsor you for a work visa, but without either a bachelor's degree or 3 years of full-time English teaching experience they cannot, even if they wanted to hire you.)

Now when it comes to looking for a teaching job, since you apply with a Working Holiday Visa, the potential employer will know that: (1) they don't have to sponsor you for a work visa, but also that (2) you will leave at the end of one year. So... if they like your credentials (having taught already for 6 months, and that you have a TEFL, maybe a certificate course?) and if you interview well, I think you have some chances, but only if they are willing to hire someone new for just one year.

If you want a full-time job, and if you find "eikaiwa" (English conversation) companies who are hiring online/recruiting from the UK, I would apply even if they required a degree.

by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Teaching without a degree 2016/5/6 16:09
Hey, Im in Japan and on the same boat as you. I was just wondering how you got on with this?
by A Sim (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Teaching without a degree 2016/5/11 15:48
I know people who have come here without a degree and found full time work at private eikawas. It seems that they found their jobs through word-of-mouth or simply putting it out there in the community that they want a job. If your friends are English teachers, they are likely to know other English teachers who work for private language schools so can hopefully hook you up that way. If you're already somewhat established in Japan and have connections here, these companies will look favourably upon you even without the degree, especialy if they are short on staff.
by Jenn Jett (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread