Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Kamakura/Enoshima is 1 day enough? 2015/10/8 01:01
I'm planning to take a day trip to Kamakura/Enoshima from Shinjuku but am worried that 1 day may not be enough to see both locations. I'm planning to complete all the model courses listed on this site

http://en.kamakura-info.jp/recommend/

as well as visit Enoshima. Should I just skip out on Enoshima altogether and focus on Kamakura or is 1 day enough for everything? I plan to reach Kamakura by around 10am. Any advice?

Thank you.
by Skyver (guest)  

Re: Kamakura/Enoshima is 1 day enough? 2015/10/8 13:06
I really like Enoshima, and so if you could stay there overnight I'd recommend it. It is a lot of fun at night and it is nice to have it to yourself early in the morning.

If you cant though, then I think you could see Kamakura and get to Enoshima late in the day for a little look around. It would be a big day with a lot of walking. and you wouldn't see all of Enoshima, but you'd see enough to know whether you wanted to come back. And the walk over the bridge with the hawks circling is worth it by itself.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kamakura/Enoshima is 1 day enough? 2015/10/8 16:22
@Lazy Pious Thanks for the reply. I'm definitely interested in checking out Enoshima right now. My only fear is that I may not make it in time. Are there any spots(not necessarily tourist hotspots) that you would recommend as must see on the island? I know there are sights highlighted on Japan Guide and other sites but I don't think I'll be able to see them all.

Thank you.
by Skyver (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kamakura/Enoshima is 1 day enough? 2015/10/8 16:23
If you start early, I don't see why you couldn't make it in one day but if you have the choice, taking a full day for Kamakura and a full day for Enoshima is recommended. I've been to Enoshima twice and it's really nice.
by DTryPleX rate this post as useful

Re: Kamakura/Enoshima is 1 day enough? 2015/10/8 16:36
@DTryPleX Thanks for the reply. Hmm... maybe I should indeed go to both on separate days. Argh.. So much to think about haha XD

Re: Kamakura/Enoshima is 1 day enough? 2015/10/8 16:58
If you could get to Enoshima really early (like 7.30AM) you'd have a chance of views to Mt Fuji from the lookout at the top. But aside from that, while nothing on the island is amazing or spectacular (the lighthouse might be but I have an issue with heights @_@) the walk from the front over the top to the caves is really nice, you might see a squirrel or two in the little forest at the top, lunch at the italian restaurant at the top is amazing, and the caves are interesting-ish.

I quite liked the dragon theme which continues over the whole island and the way that even though it is touristy, it is very quaint. We've stayed there a few times now, and I recommend it as a great place to finish a holiday away from the concrete jungle.

So if you got there nice and early (the train ride on the electric railway is a must, really scenic), you'd probably be able to see most of the island within 3 hours or so, though pottering around is more fun, and maybe 2 separate trips would be better.

Re: Kamakura/Enoshima is 1 day enough? 2015/10/8 23:42
@Lazy Pious

Oh ok! Just wondering... would you recommend taking the Odakyu Line or JR Shonan line? The latter is faster but the former allows me to take advantage of the Enoshima Kamakura Free Pass. I'm leaning towards the former but would like some advice.

Re: Kamakura/Enoshima is 1 day enough? 2015/10/9 05:02
Sorry not much help on that. The first time we left from Shibuya and stopped at Kamakura. The second time we were coming back from Kyoto and stopped at one of the shinkansen stations, it might have been Shinagawa, then took a train to Ofuna. That seemed to take forever and stopped like 15 times, then we took a monorail to Enoshima (that was awesome). If the pass covers the electric rail, then use it because a day ticket on that costs about $10 and you need one to hop on and off the train to get to the sites in Kamakura.

Re: Kamakura/Enoshima is 1 day enough? 2015/10/9 08:59
I've done Hasedera, the Great Buddha & Enoshima all in one day and at a leisurely pace. So it is possible to do Kamakura & Enoshima (depending on how much of Kamakura you want to visit)

When you visit Enoshima late in the afternoon you'll find that a lot of the places will begin to shutdown at about 4.30pm. I quite liked it though because the island wasn't crowded and I had a pleasant walk around the island. And I saw a lot of cats roaming around and I don't know whether that was because a lot of the tourists had already gone.
So Enoshima at that time is enjoyable if you don't like crowds. Though a lot of the places like the caves and restaurants & shops will be closed after 4.30pm and it does become a ghost town after dark.
by Kari Haruka rate this post as useful

Re: Kamakura/Enoshima is 1 day enough? 2015/10/24 16:11
Thanks for all the replies guys. I didn't manage to complete Kamakura during my trip there. I did Enoshima, Hase and Kita Kamakura in 2 separate days. Missed out on all the temples around Kamakura station.

I must say that Enoshima has become of my personal favorite places in Tokyo. Dammit. Night time there is so damn beautiful and the atmosphere is magnificent. It reminds me of little Kyoto but with it's own style and flair. Not to mention I had dinner facing the sea with Mt Fuji in the backdrop. It was just an unforgettable time. I think I would've foolishly skipped this place in favor of Kamakura had I not asked for advice. Thanks to all you replied and advised me once again.

Re: Kamakura/Enoshima is 1 day enough? 2015/10/24 18:05
Awesome! We really like it too, now that we fly in and out from Narita we try to finish the holiday with a night or two there, it is just brilliant.

Re: Kamakura/Enoshima is 1 day enough? 2015/10/25 15:08
Yea definitely would love to visit this place again with a significant other. I went there solo and man was I envious of all the couples there. In fact, I was the only guy by himself. XD

reply to this thread