Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Hotel in Kabukicho or stay outside Shinjuku 2015/10/8 16:33
Hi,

I'm currently booking hotels for my upcoming trip to Japan. For the Tokyo leg of my stay I'd like to be in an area where there's a bit of nightlife (nice bars, restaurants etc. but not super expensive or shady). I read that Shinjuku is a great location. However, I've been unable to find a hotel within my budget (~ 95 000 yen total) that is not in Kabukicho.

I understand that this is the red light district. I've read reviews stating that people generally felt safe. However, there also seem to be "Nigerian" scammers trying to lure Western tourists into shady establishments to rip them off. I'd never go along with that but I would like to be able to feel safe and comfortable walking around at night.

My question is: Should I go for a hotel in Kabukicho or stay in another ward (and possibly travel to Shinjuku in the evening?). If so, which other wards would you recommend based on what I'm looking for? Shibuya seems to be pretty much fully booked as well.

Thanks!
by holuc  

Re: Hotel in Kabukicho or stay outside Shinjuku 2015/10/9 08:28
Hi! I stayed in Kabukicho back in 2010 for my Tokyo portion. We did run into "scammers" and people tried to hit up my friends to go to .. Clubs, etc. I was with my husband and three single friends. They left my husband and me alone, but approached my one friend with the promise of a multitude of women. As long as you were just confident and kept moving, they weren't too pushy.

I could see how it might make certain people uncomfortable, and as a woman I might not walk by myself ... But our group never felt in any danger. I would stay in Kabukicho again because it is definitely a lively area.
by Heidi (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Hotel in Kabukicho or stay outside Shinjuku 2015/10/9 10:41
However, I've been unable to find a hotel within my budget (~ 95 000 yen total) that is not in Kabukicho.

Can you be more specific about your budget? Your numbers really don't tell us anything without knowing your timeframe, or better yet your date range.

I'd never go along with that but I would like to be able to feel safe and comfortable walking around at night.

The so-called "scammers" (touts is probably a better term) are harmless. They might approach you, but ignore them and they move on quickly.

My question is: Should I go for a hotel in Kabukicho or stay in another ward (and possibly travel to Shinjuku in the evening?). If so, which other wards would you recommend based on what I'm looking for? Shibuya seems to be pretty much fully booked as well.

You may need to look somewhere else if Shinjuku is booked out or no longer in your budget. Typically not a problem as long as you're aware of train schedules and don't miss the last train out. Otherwise you may be in for an expensive taxi ride to get back to your hotel.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Hotel in Kabukicho or stay outside Shinjuku 2015/10/9 20:40
Thank you for your replies. I'll be in Tokyo Nov 9 - Nov 15. I've made a reservation at the APA Hotel Shinjuku-Kabukicho Tower hotel but I can change that if I find a better option within my budget.
by holuc rate this post as useful

Re: Hotel in Kabukicho or stay outside Shinjuku 2015/10/10 01:18
Toyoko Inn Shinjuku Kabukicho is better than APA.
The both hotels locate in as so called "Love Hotel district" in Kabukicho. You need to find out what is "Love Hotel" in JP.
I recommend you to go back your accommodation before mid-night if you stay in Kabukicho. I don't even stay in Kabukicho after mid-night.
Nigerian mainly locate in "Ichibangai" street and "Centralroad(Chuo-dori)", not in love hotel district. But you must be carefull as you walk there at night.

Hotel Rose Garden Shinjuku and Nishitetsu INN both locate in the west side of Shinjuku where not many foreigers around(due to business district). The both hotels locate opposite Shinjuku police station.
http://www.hotel-rosegarden.jp/english.html
http://www.n-inn.jp/english/hotels/shinjuku/
by tokyo friend 48 rate this post as useful

Re: Hotel in Kabukicho or stay outside Shinjuku 2015/10/10 01:26
They both seem to be fully booked while I'm in Tokyo. Is Kabukicho really that dangerous at night? Most of the reports I'm reading are saying that the main danger is getting ripped off and that it's actually safer than many Western cities.
by holuc rate this post as useful

Re: Hotel in Kabukicho or stay outside Shinjuku 2015/10/10 20:14
I would believe Kabukicho is not a safe town, that's all I can say.
Tourists stay there for a short time of period therefore they won't notice the environment in the town so much. Kabukicho is a very special town in Tokyo.
Green Plaza Shinjuku is in Kabukicho with capsule type hotel with free spa. But, Green Plaza locates in a typical prostitution zon in Kabukicho, so I recommend you to stay in the hotel after 23:00 or mid-night.
http://www.hgpshinjuku.jp/en/
by tokyo friend 48 rate this post as useful

Re: Hotel in Kabukicho or stay outside Shinjuku 2015/10/12 02:25
I've stayed at Hotel Siena, which is also located just at the edge of Kabukicho, not really expensive if booked through their site or other sites like booking.com, and rakuten.

http://www.hotelsiena.jp/index.html
by kms899 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread