Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Public transport/entry pass for Kyoto/Tokyo 2015/10/9 12:05
Hi everyone,
I was hoping to get some advice on travel passes for tourists that include unlimited public transport on bus/train/subway/ferry as well as entry fees to major tourist sights? We will already be covered for our 2 days in Osaka with the Osaka Amazing Pass, but I wanted to know if there was a similar pass that covers Kyoto and Tokyo areas? Or are we better off getting daily travel passes for those days then just paying entry to sights separately?

My itinerary is below.

8 Day Trip covering Hiroshima, Miyajima, Tokyo, Kyoto and Osaka during November 20-27.

Day 1: Fly into Itami Airport in Osaka, hotel located in Shinsaibashi. Planning on getting a taxi.
Day 2: Osaka - planning on getting the Osaka Amazing Pass. Visit Kamigata Ukiyoe Museum, Osaka Museum of Natural History, Shittenoji Temple, Tsutenkaku Tower.
Day 3: Osaka - Osaka Castle Park, Osaka Museum of Housing and Living, Umeda Sky Building/Floating Garden Observatory.
Day 4: Hiroshima + Miyajima day tour, transport inclusive.
Day 5: Kyoto - Fushimi Inari Shrine, Kiyomizudera Temple, Gion.
Day 6: Kyoto - Bamboo Grove, Kyoto Arashiyama Orgel Museum, Kinkakuji Temple. Bullet train to Tokyo, hotel in Shinjuku.
Day 7: Tokyo - Shinjuku, Harajuku, Shibuya, Rikugien Gardens.
Day 8: Tokyo - Shimo-Kitazawa. Fly out from Narita Airport.

Thanks for your help!
by Annegelic  

Re: Public transport/entry pass for Kyoto/Tokyo 2015/10/9 16:01
sadly, or perhaps it is good, that you are not travelling to enough places to warrant a need for a city pass for either Kyoto or Tokyo. If you travel around Kansai more for example to Kobe or Himeji, a regional pass like the Kansai Wide Area Pass or Kansai Thru Pass will be worth your consideration.

A number of the attractions you are visiting in Tokyo and Kyoto are free to enter too.

You may want to consider the 7 day JR Pass for your Osaka to Hiroshima, Hiroshima to Miyajima and back, Hiroshima to Kyoto, and Kyoto to Tokyo league of your trip. It will cover the shinkansen costs and JR Ferries but not cover the Nozomi shinkansen.
by jh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Public transport/entry pass for Kyoto/Tokyo 2015/10/11 18:16
Thanks for your advice. It looks like the JR Pass wouldn't be worth it after all. The day tour we have organised for Hiroshima & Miyajima includes all transport for the whole day on coach/ferry/shinkansen, departing from Osaka to Hiroshima & return. Cheers
by Annegelic rate this post as useful

Re: Public transport/entry pass for Kyoto/Tokyo 2015/10/11 18:42
If your Osaka - Hiroshima trip is covered by the tour, then the only real long-distance trip you make with Shinkansen would be Osaka/Kyoto - Tokyo one way, so a 7-day JR Pass does not pay off.

I might suggest using public transport from Itami - Shinsaibashi. From the airport you can take the monorail to Senrichuo, then change to another train that connects right into the Midosuji line (headed for Nakamozu), and that will take you to Shinsaibashi. (I don't know what time of the day you are arriving though.)
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread