Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

13 days in Japan 28/12-09/01 advice? 2015/10/9 14:49
Hello all,

My girlfriend and I arrive in Nagoya 28 December early in the morning and leave Tokyo (Haneda) in the evening on 9 January. We are trying to work out our itinerary. We understand that at this time of year it can be quite difficult to travel. As such I would appreciate any advice on the below two proposed itineraries, we are certainly not locked into these and would be open to suggestions. What difficulties will we face with transport? Should we go with a rail pass? We are planning on booking our accommodation this coming week. Does anyone have a good recommendation for a ski resort? We were thinking of either Hakuba, Shiga Kogen or Nozawa Onsen. As a tall person, 194cm (6'4) will there be issues hiring skis? I should have the rest of my gear. Apologies for asking what may be such obvious questions, but I would like to try and get the advice first hand and soon as I am aware of the need to book at that time of year.

Option 1:
28/12 Nagoya to Kyoto (2 days in Kyoto)

30/12 Kyoto to Nagano prefecture (3 Days skiing)

02/01 Nagano prefecture - Tokyo (7 Days relaxed and enjoying/exploring)

Option 2:
28/12 Nagoya to Oaska (2 days in Oasaka)

30/12 Osaka to Kyoto (2 days in Kyoto)

01/01 Kyoto to Nagano prefecture (3 days skiing)

04/01 Nagano prefecture to Tokyo (5 days relaxed and enjoying/exploring)

Thank you in advance for your advice assistance.

Cheers.
by dbroomfi (guest)  

Re: 13 days in Japan 28/12-09/01 advice? 2015/10/10 00:49
I'm assuming flights are booked already?
Otherwise would have been better to fly to Kansai/Osaka first and out of Tokyo.

I would probably do it like this,

Dec 28 Arrive Nagoya (Morning), train to Kyoto
Dec 29 Kyoto - Osaka Day trip
Dec 30 Kyoto
Dec 31 Kyoto
Jan 01 Train to Nagano
Jan 02 Nagano
Jan 03 Nagano
Jan 04 Train to Tokyo
Jan 05 Tokyo
Jan 06 Tokyo
Jan 07 Tokyo
Jan 08 Tokyo
Jan 09 Depart Tokyo (Evening)

Yes only have your accommodation at Kyoto so you don't need to move around and do day trip into Osaka. But again it depends what your want to do.

You might have problems with Jan 1 Trains from Kyoto to Tokyo. I would book the seat selection as soon as you arrive in Japan!.

Looks like 7 days Japan Rail Pass will not work out for you. Even if you start on Dec 28, it will end on Jan 3.
Plus
Nagoya to Kyoto
Kyoto to Nagano via Kanazawa
Nagano to Tokyo
Would be less to buy single tickets.

You should book your hotels ASAP! Will be very busy due to the new years!

Hope this helps!!!
Have Fun!!!
by Koohii2wii rate this post as useful

reply to this thread