Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Breakfast cereal 2015/10/11 14:10
Have my own apartment in Osaka later this month for a few days, and was looking for suggestions on breakfast cereals that are worth buying whilst I am there?

Cheers!

by Simmo29  

Re: Breakfast cereal 2015/10/11 23:29
In my experience, breakfast cereals in Japan are nothing to write home about other than to send a request to mail me some from back home. :-)
Little choice, heaped up with sugar, tiny packages and very expensive: http://japaneselevelup.com/7-ways-japan-is-a-cereal-lovers-worst-night...
by Jim (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Breakfast cereal 2015/10/12 08:17
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!! That is SOOOOOO funny!!!!!! I just got my laugh for the week!!!!!

(I totally agree with the above poster and the blogger.)
by menj (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Breakfast cereal 2015/10/12 09:12
I bring a small package of oatmeal from home - as long as you have a pot to cook it in and a hot plate that would work...

I like the old-fashioned unsweetened type......looked here and there in some Japanese supermarkets never saw any......
by Maranyc rate this post as useful

Re: Breakfast cereal 2015/10/12 09:15
Check out the breakfast items at the nearest convenience store. They probably don't carry your favorite cereal but they have a small selection of breads, danish, croissants, a muffin or two, hard boiled eggs, a cereal or two, yoghurt, milk..... enough for the western visitor to pick from. We usually got our breakfast items at 7/11 when we stayed at an apartment in Tokyo.
by Dutchann (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Breakfast cereal 2015/10/12 10:08
Actually my favourite museli came from Japan - from one of the 7/11 type stores. They also have cornflakes in some of them.

You wont starve, though I used to take a box with me from home. I figured that Our "Dick Smith Bush Foods" was pretty well travelled, it went from Gold Coast to Tokyo to Kyoto to Hiroshima to Nara back to Tokyo then Nikko, which would have to be a record for that kind of cereal.

Just make sure you buy milk - I bought yoghurt by mistake a few times.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Breakfast cereal 2015/10/12 10:08
As suggested, real "breakfast cereals" in Japan are either imported from Europe or North America or created domestically to be as similar as they can to the imported ones.

What do you mean by "whilst I am there"? How long are you staying and where are you coming from?

If you're not from a place where cornflakes and Muesli and Granola aren't common, you'll have a great time shopping here in the department store basement shops in Japan. Or if you want to try local porridge, you can go to your local conbini to buy some ready-made "okayu" in retort packs.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Breakfast cereal 2015/10/12 11:05
I recommend the Kaldi coffee farm.
Such as
Lucua 1100(Ihre) shop
Tennoji Mio Store
Namba Marui B1F
Esaka Tokyu Building 1F
http://www.kaldi.co.jp/
It also sells a serial in many supermarkets.
Kind of cereal may be less.
by haro1210 rate this post as useful

Re: Breakfast cereal 2015/10/12 12:47
There's a lot of good museli/granola type cereals here, but there's just not the wide variety of cold cereals we have in the States/West.
by Harimogura (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Breakfast cereal 2015/10/12 16:38
Just came back from my local supermarket...we have 3 types. All Kellog's - choose between cornflakes type #1, cornflakes type #2 or chocolate crispies.

We usually get cornflakes from Costco. There's one in Osaka...but it's a 45-minutes drive/1.5 hours train away from the city. Not sure if you'll want to go that far for cereal.
by Murakami Seirin rate this post as useful

Re: Breakfast cereal 2015/10/12 18:58
Thanks everyone :)
by Simmo29 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread