Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Itinerary for 15 nights - first time in Japan 2015/10/13 16:31
Hi,
Me and my wife are visiting Japan for the first time at the end of this month - I know this is quite last minute!
We want to get a good flavour of the country (a bit of everytihng that Japan has to offer)
Was just wondering what you thought of our proposed itinerary?
Arrive Day 1 Narita:
4 nights Tokyo (staying in Roppongi area)
1 night in Hakone
1N Takayama
2N Kanazawa
4N Kyoto
1N Mt Koya
1N Osaka
1N Miyajima (daytime in Hiroshima)
1N Narita / Tokyo
Leave Narita at 11.15

I guess some of the general questions I had were :
- Is the above too ambitious (we want to make the most of our time in Japan but want to be relaxed enough to enjoy it!)
- Is there anywhere that we should definitely go to that is not on itinerary?
-We were planning on taking daytrips in Tokyo and Kyoto - what are recommended excusrions?
More specifically
-Is it worth taking the 1 night hakone trip or should I add one night in Tokyo and take a daytrip to Hakone (Hakone to Takayama looks like a full day of travelling!)
- Should we spend the last night in Narita or Tokyo and if in Tokyo which area would be good for a last night, bearing in mind we have an 11 am flight from NRT (and we are staying in Roppongi at start of trip)

Many thanks for your thoughts - it is much appreciated!

Al
by TankAl (guest)  

Re: Itinerary for 15 nights - first time in Japan 2015/10/13 18:24
- Is the above too ambitious (we want to make the most of our time in Japan but want to be relaxed enough to enjoy it!)

The only thing I think is that you're traveling around with your luggage quite a lot. Checking in and out of hotels all the time is not the most relaxing thing but that's really the only concern.

- Is there anywhere that we should definitely go to that is not on itinerary?

Lots of places to be honest but you can't visit them all in one go, not to mention, your travel area is limited. I don't see anything wrong with it right now.

-We were planning on taking daytrips in Tokyo and Kyoto - what are recommended excusrions?
More specifically
-Is it worth taking the 1 night hakone trip or should I add one night in Tokyo and take a daytrip to Hakone (Hakone to Takayama looks like a full day of travelling!)

For Kyoto, some of the more obvious ones would be Nara and maybe Nagoya if you're interested, Kobe is also an option. For Tokyo: Nikko, Kanazawa, Yokohama. Are all doable. All of them have pages on Japan guide so take a look at what you'd like to do. + The trip to Hakone is more than doable from Tokyo although I must admit I've never stayed in Roppongi because direct train access isn't that great there.

- Should we spend the last night in Narita or Tokyo and if in Tokyo which area would be good for a last night, bearing in mind we have an 11 am flight from NRT (and we are staying in Roppongi at start of trip)

I always stay in Tokyo myself since the connections are good. Narita would of course be a lot closer but you'd have another hour of travel on the previous day so it all depends on what you want. If you stay in Tokyo, staying near Tokyo or Shinagawa could be an option to catch the N'EX. The Skyliner connects to different stations so if you want to take that, staying at those stations is also an option. (or take any random station on the Yamanote that is within 5/10 minutes from any of the stations mentioned above since there are loads of trains.)
by DTryPleX rate this post as useful

reply to this thread