Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Study Abroad in Japan and the JET Programme 2015/10/14 00:32
Ifm wondering if it would be best to study abroad in Japan via my university (I am a senior in high school about to apply to college) in the future, or whether I should instead pursue the JET Programme and finish up my degree in the United States first? My sensei recommended getting my TESOL certification before pursuing teaching English in Japan. Could I study abroad in Japan and then work through the JET Programme? Ifm curious about whether I could study, with a student visa, then come back and work a few years later as an English teacher in Japan. Would I be allowed back in the country on a work visa, or would I have extended my stay? Sorry, I'm unfamiliar with visa regulations.

Also, if anyone has studied at a university in Japan, could you recommend me one? I've been considering Akita International or Temple University, but I've read mixed reviews.

Thank you.
by sagox (guest)  

Re: Study Abroad in Japan and the JET Programme 2015/10/14 10:44
What are your long-term goals? Of course, studying abroad and participating in the JET are not mutually exclusive, but neither is a long-term thing.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Study Abroad in Japan and the JET Programme 2015/10/18 04:04
My long-term goal is to teach English as a second language to students. I would like to visit Japan, as well.
by sagox (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Study Abroad in Japan and the JET Programme 2015/10/18 15:40
You apply for a student visa to study in Japan, and you apply (when you fulfill the requirements and have also found an employer) for a work visa to work in Japan.

If your long-term goal is to teach English as a second language, then one way might be studying education including TEFL/TESOL, getting the degree done in the US, then looking for work. Of course your university might offer something like one year abroad exchange program, but doing the degree fully in Japan gives you no particular advantage, and also will be very expensive.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Study Abroad in Japan and the JET Programme 2015/10/18 20:15
The only real advantage to studying in Japan (if you want to teach ESL students) is that you would have had a taste of living in Japan.

If you want to teach overseas - then it might be easier to finish your degree in your home country and then apply for a teaching position once you have graduated.

I'm an international teacher (with a Science & teaching degree) and felt that completing the JET program would have given me a more true taste of Japanese culture compared to working at international schools where everything is done for you and everyone speaks English.

I've met some teachers who now work internationally and completed the JET program before coming official teachers. They seemed to enjoy their time and speak reasonable Japanese compared to what I speak (or don't speak)
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: Study Abroad in Japan and the JET Programme 2015/10/19 07:02
Why not try both? If you've never been to Japan before, or traveled much, then going there for the first time to live for a year minimum and working full time could be a shock.

If you aren't sure, try studying there first. See if you can get a scholarship. It'd count for your studies, so why not? (Apparently, people who have studied abroad/traveled in general have higher chances of being accepted, but who knows how true that is)

If you like it, then think about JET. You've got to finish the degree first, so you've got time to think it over.

Most unis don't let you study abroad in your final term from my experience, so you'd need to do your study abroad, come back, finish the degree, and then apply. The question really is do you want to do one or the other or both. Generally your uni and/or JET (depending what you choose), can help with visas.

I studied at Kansai Gaidai, Osaka. I'm also applying for JET right now. Many of my friends who studied there have been accepted into JET or other programs, such as Interac. Remember JET isn't your only option, so research some other companies as well. There are pros and cons to all of them. Most of these will require you already having the degree done.
by Midori Hime 77 rate this post as useful

Re: Study Abroad in Japan and the JET Programme 2015/10/19 16:36
TEFL/TESOL certification is okay, but if you really want to be above the competition, get a REAL degree in education for the level(s) you are hoping to teach. If your school has TEFL classes or specialization track, that's great, but education is more impressive than the TEFL certifications if you have hopes of teaching in a real school beyond ALT/AET work.
by Hmm (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Study Abroad in Japan and the JET Programme 2015/10/26 11:06
I'd have to caution that. When you apply for JET, you apply for a teacher's assistant. To get an education degree and be qualified as a teacher and then be an assistant only has made a lot of people frustrated. There's a huge difference between the two. As long as you're happy knowing that you are expected to be the assistant rather than the leader, you'll be fine.

Also remember that JET isn't looking for teachers - they're looking for English speakers who are enthusiastic and have an interest in Japan.

But yeah, if that's what you're planning to do forever, get an education degree - it'll be worth more overall than TEFL/TESOL.
by Midori Hime 77 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread