Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Narita layover, baggage? 2015/10/14 12:10
I'm flying out tomorrow and laying over in Narita. My itenerary is:

Manila to Narita (ANA)
Narita to Washington Dulles (United Airlines)
Washington to Providence, RI (United Airlines)

I'll be checking two bags on the flight from Manila to Narita. I will NOT be leaving Narita airport (the layover is very short). My question is, do I need to grab and recheck my bags between Manila and Washington? I have no way of calling the airport to ask and I know I can ask when I get there but I'd like to know in advance if possible. I'm pretty sure they're partner airlines, as when I came to Manila I got all my boarding passes printed at once- but I didn't check anything on the way there, so I have no experience.

Thanks for helping an international flight newbie.
by Mik (guest)  

Re: Narita layover, baggage? 2015/10/15 02:28
ANA and UA belong to the same group, Star Alliance, and often use each other's planes on flights to the US. You will not see your luggage in Narita. It will be checked through to DC. The tags on the luggage might go all the way through to Providence.

In Narita, as you exit the plane following the herd, you will see a doorway for international transfers. Just go through that door and you'll miss immigration and customs. You never leave security and you'll not get near the baggage claim.

In Dulles, you'll pick up your luggage and clear customs. You then have to recheck it for your domestic flight to Providence. Since you're at the end of an international flight, the recheck should be free. I don't remember where the re-check counters are at Dulles but they are usually right after customs so you don't have to go to the main check-in counters in the lobby again. (I use National for DC).
by Anaguma (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Narita layover, baggage? 2015/10/15 04:21
Thanks for the answer!
by Mik (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread