Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Travel to Amanohashidate - Surcharge 2015/10/19 15:56
I intend to visit Amanshidate after Takeda castle ruin. Based on Hyperdia, I was advised to take the train to Fukuchiyama via Wadayama, and then to Amanshidate.

I emailed JR West, which informed me that if I use Kansai-Hiroshima Area Pass or Kansai WIDE Area Pass, I will need to pay a surcharge of 1420 JPY on Limited Express Hashidate (non-reserved seat) from Fukuchiyama to Amanohashidate. They defer my question on Amanshidate pass to Kyoto Tango Railway.

Does anyone know what I need to pay for between Fukuchiyama and Amanohashidate?

Thanks!
by joao84  

Re: Travel to Amanohashidate - Surcharge 2015/10/19 17:36
What is unclear about the answer you got from JR West?
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Travel to Amanohashidate - Surcharge 2015/10/19 17:51
Based on Japan Guide and a couple of other threads around, they seem to suggest that I just need to pay (i) JR rail pass + (ii) Amanoshidate pass that also covers the JR limited express.

The JR West guys said "Regarding the rail pass of Kyoto Tango Railway, we would like to ask you to contact to Kyoto Tango Railway directly. For your reference, if you have Kansai-Hiroshima Area Pass or Kansai WIDE Area Pass, the surcharge to take Limited Express Hashidate (non-reserved seat) from Fukuchiyama to Amanohashidate is 1420JPY"... which suggests that I need to pay: (i) JR rail pass + (ii) whatever I need to pay to Kyoto Tango Railway for using its railway + (iii) 1420 JPY surcharge for taking a JR limited express train.
by joao84 rate this post as useful

Re: Travel to Amanohashidate - Surcharge 2015/10/19 18:00
It's pretty clearly laid out on this page:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3991.html

Infrequent JR Hashidate limited express trains operate directly between Kyoto and Amanohashidate. The journey takes around two hours and costs about 4000 yen. Japan Rail Pass and Kansai Wide Area Pass holders have to pay a supplement of 1380 yen (1480 yen if using a reserved seat) because the train runs on non-JR tracks north of Fukuchiyama.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Travel to Amanohashidate - Surcharge 2015/10/19 18:12
Thanks yllwsmrf,

but the same page also says, under the "special ticket" section:
"The Amanohashidate Pass includes unlimited rides on local trains of the Kitakinki Tango Railway. And for travelers with a Japan Rail Pass or Kansai Wide Area Pass, the Amanohashidate Pass also covers limited express trains (unreserved seats only) between Fukuchiyama and Amanohashidate"... this is the portion that the JR West guys defer their answer.

I'm sorry that I'm still confused, even though the answer seems obvious enough to you guys. Please let me know which is correct payment if I take a JR limited express train from Fukuchiyama to Amanoshidate:
Option A: Pay (i) JR rail pass + (ii) Amanoshidate pass
Option B: Pay (i) JR rail pass + (ii) whatever I need to pay to Kyoto Tango Railway for using its railway + (iii) 1420 JPY surcharge for taking a JR limited express train

Thank you!

Re: Travel to Amanohashidate - Surcharge 2015/10/19 19:28
If you have the Amanohashidate pass, then you don't pay anything. JR could not answer your question about the Amanohashidate pass because it's not their business, this pass is issued by KTR.

Re: Travel to Amanohashidate - Surcharge 2015/10/19 19:38
Thanks a lot for the helpful response, Firas!

Re: Travel to Amanohashidate - Surcharge 2015/10/19 19:42
Reading your message again, there seems to be some confusion. The 1420 yen are for KTR, but you can also buy a Amanoshashidate pass instead.

This train is jointly operated by JR West and KTR, the separating station being Fukuchiyama. Before Fukuchiyama, it is JR West and it is fully covered by your Kansai-Hiroshima pass. After that it is KTR and not covered by your pass, so you must either pay the 1420 yen or buy a Amanohashidate pass, which covers it.

Re: Travel to Amanohashidate - Surcharge 2015/10/19 20:23
Great! This clarifies my doubt completely!

reply to this thread