Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Kyushu Expressway Pass 2015/10/26 13:01
Hello!

Has anyone used the Kyushu Expressway Pass before?

How is it used? Do we purchase the pass from the rental car company when we pick up the car or do we pay for what our mileage after we return the car? Does each rental car have an ETC reader device and are we issued with an ETC card when we pick up the car?

After doing some research on this website (http://www.driveplaza.com/dp/MapSearch) to find out the toll charges for my entire trip, I realise there are only a couple of days where the tolls are quite expensive because of the long distance covered and I will need the KEP.

For instance, I only require the KEP on Day 1-2 (driving from Miyazaki to Takachiho) and Day 5-6 (driving from Kumamoto to Yatsushiro to Yanagawa) of my holiday in Kyushu. For the rest of the days, the driving distance is pretty short or are on mountain roads that do not incur any tolls. As such, I don't think it is that worthwhile to purchase the KEP for the entire duration of my trip.

Is it possible to purchase two 2-day passes? Thanks very much!
by abbles  

Re: Kyushu Expressway Pass 2015/11/29 19:45
平成26年10月1日(水曜)から平成26年12月26日(金曜)のうち、
連続する最大2日間から10日間(利用開始日の0時から最終日の23時59分まで)有効

I can check expressway company's site,
above is a information it.
pass service was only Oct1 to Dec.26 last year.
by micck rate this post as useful

Re: Kyushu Expressway Pass 2015/11/30 12:04
Abbles, when are you leaving for Kyushu? KEP 2015 is valid from 1st Sept to 25th Dec 2015. It runs in consecutive days ranging from 2 to 10 days. I think you need to book KEP together with car rental.

I used KEP last December. I did not use it for some days when staying in Kumamoto and Nagasaki, still it is useful for passing the toll plaza without using cash. Just go for it.

I paid extra cash when returned the vehicle at Budget. Incurred some charge when I drove on non-designated roads.

by IvyChang (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kyushu Expressway Pass 2015/12/1 10:29
Hello micck and ivy! Thanks for your replies! I just returned from Kyushu. We purchased the KEP for 8 days when we picked up the car and was given an ETC card. At the end of the trip when we returned the car, the staff at the rental company helped us to print out a list of toll charges incurred on our ETC card. In the end, the total toll charges was about 6000+yen, which was less than the cost of the 8 day KEP.

I suppose the KEP will only be worthwhile if we drove long distances on highways then. On our trip, we spent a lot of our journey in the more rural areas on national roads. Hope this info helps others who are considering the KEP :)
by abbles rate this post as useful

reply to this thread