Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Advice regarding JR Kyushu Rail Pass 2015/11/1 19:41
1st Q: Can I buy a 5 day northern Kyushu area pass & a 5 day All Kyushu Area Pass on the same day at Hakata Station. But I activate both passes on other days, none on the day itself? When I buy the pass do I have to confirm the date I gonna use it or I can just activate on the day I want to?

2nd Q: As per JR Kyushu website FAQs

Q: Can one person purchase more than one JR Kyushu Rail Pass?

Ans: You can purchase more than one pass as long as the valid periods of the multiple passes you purchase do not overlap.

My Q is: I gonna activate the 5 day Northern Kyushu pass say e.g 1 dec but on the 5 dec I will be going from Kumamoto to Kagoshima so I will activate the 5 day All Kyushu pass. So on the 5 dec both the Northern & All Kyushu pass is activated as per the FAQs this is not allowed? I really need a accurate advise on this issue, Anyone done it before?

TIA
by HondatypeR (guest)  

Re: Advice regarding JR Kyushu Rail Pass 2015/11/2 10:40
There is a difference between a pass and a voucher. The voucher is sometimes called an exchange order, and has no set start time. I believe that you purchase vouchers outside of Japan, and you will purchase the pass inside of Japan.

When you purchase the pass, you will have to specify the start date. The start date does not have to be the date that you purchased the pass, but it can be. Once you have the pass, you can start making seat reservations, even if the pass does not activate for several days.

When I looked at the Kyushu pass website, it does appear that you cannot have two passes active at the same time.

Given your example of wanting to use the 5 day northern pass for Dec 1st,2nd, 3rd, and 4th; and then wanting to use all-Kyushu pass for the 5th-9th;

You would probably have to tell the clerk to activate the 5 day northern pass on November 30th, even if you are purchasing this pass on December 1st. I don't know if this is allowed. I you are arriving before December 1st, there should be no problem activating the pass on November 30th, even if you have no plans to use it that day.

The other option is to purchase a 3-day northern pass, and plan not travel on either the 1st or the 4th.

One additional possibility that might work is after your final use of the 5 day northern pass on the 4th, go and purchase the 5 day All-Kyushu Pass, and surrender the 5 day Northern Kyushu pass to the clerk issuing the All-Kyushu Pass. I don't know if this works either, but is in the spirit of not having two active passes in your possession.

I hope this helps.
by ebaychucky311 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread