Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Japan trip and JR pass 2015/11/13 19:13
Hello Japan-guide,

We (2 persons) are planning the trip to Japan about 14 days (Feb.29-Mar.13). This is our first time travelling to Japan, we want to visit 3 main cities Tokyo, Kyoto and Osaka. Please give us suggestions and recommend about where need to go or the better itinerary and transportation.

Day 1 (Feb 29): Arrival Narita at 10:35am then transfer to Shinjuku or Asakusa, still not sure where we staying, can you give me suggest, our budget 50-80$ per night?. We will walk around Sensoji, Skytree and somewhere at afternoon and evening.

Day 2 (Mar 01): Tokyo to Nikko (Day trip). Is it worth to see or not? Can i combine with other places?

Day 3 (Mar 02): One day for Disneyland/sea. Which one is better?

Day 4 (Mar 03): Kamakura to see the big buddha. We need to stay overnight here or go back Tokyo? Can i combine go to Yokohama also?

Day 5 (Mar 05): Mt. Fuji, we want to see/view Mt Fuji, which place (Hakone or Kawaguchiko) is good to see Mt Fuji and stay overnight? And how to go to Mt. Fuji from there? We don't climbing or trekking.

Day 6 (Mar 06): Nagoya (How many day is good to stay at Nagoya? 1 or 2 days before go to Shirakawago? Is it worth to stay at Nagoya one night?

Day 7 (Mar 07): Shirakawago. We want to see the snow and walk around this place so one night is good for stay at here?

Day 8 (Mar 08): Kyoto- Where we need to go or see?

Day 9 (Mar 09): Nara day trip and go back Kyoto

Day 10 (Mar 10): Kyoto

Day 11(Mar 11) :Osaka (still not sure where to go, maybe Hiroshima).

Day 12 (Mar 12): Kobe day trip. We need how long to walk around here? Can we combine with other places?

Day 13 (Mar 13): Osaka and Kansai airport departure at 8PM.

I still have some confuse about JR pass? May i ask JR pass can use for JR line inside Tokyo and JR from Narita to Tokyo? What's kind JR pass need to book?

Is it the itinerary cramped?

Thank you so much.

Alex
by ngonlanh9  

Re: Japan trip and JR pass 2015/11/13 22:10
JNTO (The Japan National Tourist Organization) will send you all kinds of info. like maps and info. on different areas in Japan.
Study all that and figure out what you want to see.
http://www.jnto.go.jp/
by Dick H rate this post as useful

Re: Japan trip and JR pass 2015/11/16 18:17
Can someone help?
by ngonlanh9 rate this post as useful

Re: Japan trip and JR pass 2015/11/16 18:48
This is our first time travelling to Japan, we want to visit 3 main cities Tokyo, Kyoto and Osaka.

You don't seem to have any time budgeted for Tokyo itself. I'd recommend cutting down on the side trips and spending 2-3 days exploring the city.

Day 1 (Feb 29): Arrival Narita at 10:35am then transfer to Shinjuku or Asakusa, still not sure where we staying, can you give me suggest, our budget 50-80$ per night?. We will walk around Sensoji, Skytree and somewhere at afternoon and evening.

Check booking.com and agoda, you're likely to find something in your budget around either area, but more likely on the Asakusa side of Tokyo.

Day 2 (Mar 01): Tokyo to Nikko (Day trip). Is it worth to see or not? Can i combine with other places?

Nikko is great. I'd probably keep it over Kamakura if you have to drop something. It's hard to combine with anything on a daytrip. Maybe Kinugawa Onsen if you do an overnight, but your itinerary is a little packed.

Day 3 (Mar 02): One day for Disneyland/sea. Which one is better?

Disneysea is unique, however if this is your first time to any disney then disneyland is the more classic destination.

Day 4 (Mar 03): Kamakura to see the big buddha. We need to stay overnight here or go back Tokyo? Can i combine go to Yokohama also?

Daytrip is best and easily combined with Yokohama... however I would also consider dropping both of these since you'll also be spending time in Kyoto and Tokyo are basically the same attractions, but bigger and better (probably gonna get some negative feedback with that comment though ;)

Day 5 (Mar 05): Mt. Fuji, we want to see/view Mt Fuji, which place (Hakone or Kawaguchiko) is good to see Mt Fuji and stay overnight? And how to go to Mt. Fuji from there? We don't climbing or trekking.

Kawaguchiko is better because there are higher percentages of seeing the mountain. But if seeing the mountain isn't the biggest priority then maybe Hakone would be more enjoyable. Either are easy sidetrips from Tokyo, or done along the way to Kyoto.

Day 6 (Mar 06): Nagoya (How many day is good to stay at Nagoya? 1 or 2 days before go to Shirakawago? Is it worth to stay at Nagoya one night?

As much as I like Nagoya, I'd recommend skipping it for time.

Day 7 (Mar 07): Shirakawago. We want to see the snow and walk around this place so one night is good for stay at here?

Yes, definitely book a minshuku at one of the farmhouses. And do it asap, as they are booking out fast this year.

Day 8 (Mar 08): Kyoto- Where we need to go or see?

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3950.html

Day 9 (Mar 09): Nara day trip and go back Kyoto

Visit Todaiji to get a giant Buddha experience

Day 10 (Mar 10): Kyoto

Day 11(Mar 11) :Osaka (still not sure where to go, maybe Hiroshima).

Day 12 (Mar 12): Kobe day trip. We need how long to walk around here? Can we combine with other places?

Hard to say. I'd either do Osaka and Kobe, or skip it for something like Himeji Castle and Hiroshima. Or skip both to add a day to Kyoto and a daytrip to Himeji Castle.

I still have some confuse about JR pass? May i ask JR pass can use for JR line inside Tokyo and JR from Narita to Tokyo? What's kind JR pass need to book?

You can use it for the Narita Express, however overall the pass is not going to pay off for your itinerary as it stands. Regular tickets will be cheaper.

Is it the itinerary cramped?

I think so. You may have to drop some stuff to open it up.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Japan trip and JR pass 2015/11/17 07:23
"Osaka (maybe Hiroshima)"

Hiroshima is still quite a distance from Osaka! If you plan to visit Hiroshima, I wouldn't move your accommodation to Osaka and then not spend anytime there; stay in Kyoto and do your daytrips to Hiroshima and Kobe from there. This will save you time as you won't be moving hotel and then getting on another long train trip straight away.

If you do go to Hiroshima, be prepared for a long day, especially if you want to include Miyajima (for the floating torii). It's a great city and I absolutely encourage you to go there, but it is around a 3 hour round-trip from Kyoto/Osaka and you want to get there early (around 9 or 10) in order to see everything.
by sq (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japan trip and JR pass 2015/11/17 17:48
Many thanks yllwsmrf and sq.

Btw, may i ask what's type JR pass i need to buy? 7d or 14d pass?

Re: Japan trip and JR pass 2015/11/18 11:09
Use Hyperdia (hyperdia.com/en) to calculate all your train fares and decide which Pass pays off. I usually do this in an Excel spreadsheet, it's very easy.

Remember that Hyperdia will show you, by default, the reserved seat fares. In order to work out if normal tickets or a Pass is cheaper, you need to assume you will be travelling by non-reserved seats. It's easy to change; there's a drop-down box on each route Hyperdia shows. With a JR Pass you can make free reservations (another perk and bonus value).

Re: Japan trip and JR pass 2015/11/18 11:48
Hiroshima is still quite a distance from Osaka! If you plan to visit Hiroshima, I wouldn't move your accommodation to Osaka and then not spend anytime there; stay in Kyoto and do your daytrips to Hiroshima and Kobe from there. This will save you time as you won't be moving hotel and then getting on another long train trip straight away.

Basing yourself in Osaka (either continuously or in part) is a viable option considering that accommodation may be easier to book and cheaper there, and because the connections to the other cities is easier and more frequent.

Btw, may i ask what's type JR pass i need to buy? 7d or 14d pass?

A 7 day pass will pay off IF you can get all your long distance travel into 7 days. A 14 day pass will likely not pay off.

Re: Japan trip and JR pass 2015/11/18 12:30
I meant, don't travel to Osaka for accommodation if you're not going to do anything there. Base yourself in either Osaka or Kyoto for the whole time you're in the Kansai area.

But yllwsmrf is right; Osaka is cheaper than Kyoto and it can be easier to find accommodation.

Re: Japan trip and JR pass 2015/11/19 20:01
Thank you both.

But for the 7 day pass, when and how to activate it for worth?

Some special places we need to go there, including Nikko, Hakone or Kawaguchiko and Shirakawa-go, then Kansai area (i think Kansai area the transport is cheaper so we will buy the single ticket, is it ok?)

Re: Japan trip and JR pass 2015/11/19 20:24
But for the 7 day pass, when and how to activate it for worth?

You seem to have omitted March 4th from your itinerary, but based on how it currently stands I would activate it around Day 5 for the best value, however note that it will not pay off. You will be overpaying by using the JR Pass because you are not traveling long enough distances and the long distance trips that you do have are not optimized for efficient use of the pass.

Some special places we need to go there, including Nikko, Hakone or Kawaguchiko and Shirakawa-go, then Kansai area (i think Kansai area the transport is cheaper so we will buy the single ticket, is it ok?)

Make a list of your must see sights and we can help you arrange it so that it is most efficient. Also, if you haven't booked your flight yet then it may be better to go in and out of the same airport.

Re: Japan trip and JR pass 2015/11/19 20:46
It depends.
If you fly on Low cost carriers, flying in and out of different airports has no added costs. Also true if you use points or miles to buy your plane ticket.

Flying out of the same airport means making a loop trip. That means you are using more time and money just to return to where you started. Better to leave from where you trip ends, kix, in my opinion
by Jh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japan trip and JR pass 2015/11/27 17:09
Hi ,
Here is my new itinerary, please help. Thank you

Day 1 (29/2-Mon): Arrival 11AM Narita and half day Tokyo (Asakusa-Ueno-Akihabara...).
Day 2 (01/3-Tue): Tokyo city tour (Tsukiji market- Shinjuku-Harajuku-Shibuya- Ginzac).
Day 3 (02/3-Wed): Tokyo Disneysea.
Day 4 (03/3-Thu): Nikko day trip from Tokyo. Activate 7Day JR pass. (Take Shinkansen Tohoku to Utsunomya then transfer to JR Nikko line and go back Tokyo at evening)
Day 5 (04/3-Fri): Kawaguchiko day trip from Tokyo (Take JR Chuo line to Otsuki then transfer to Fujikyu Railway line to Kawaguchiko and go back Tokyo at evening).
Day 6 (05/3-Sat): Shirakawago via Toyama from Tokyo (Take Hokuriku Shinkansen to Toyama (3hrs) then transfer bus to Shirakawago (1,5hrs). May I ask which website can to book the hotel in Shirakawago?
Day 7 (06/3-Sun): Kyoto via Takayama. (Gion and dinner)
Day 8 (07/3-Mon): Kyoto city tour. (Arashiyama bamboo Grove, Fushimi Inari Shrine, Kinkaku-ju Temple (Golden Pavilion)c..
Day 9 (08/3-Tue): Himeji day trip. Maybe combine with Kobe trip if possible.
Day 10 (09/3-Wed): Nara day trip.
Day 11 (10/3-Thu): Kyoto (no plan yet).
Day 12 (11/3-Fri): Transfer to Osaka.
Day 13 (12/3-Sat): Osaka day trip (Osaka castlec)
Day 14 (13/3-Sun): Osaka day trip and departure from Kansai airport at 8pm.

P.s.: I have booked flight already.

Re: Japan trip and JR pass 2015/11/28 07:55
On Day 12, don't go to Osaka until the afternoon or evening, and spend the majority of the day in Kyoto. There's lots more to see in Kyoto and you don't want to feel rushed! You'll have at least 1.5 days in Osaka, which is plenty if you don't want to go to Universal Studios.

In Osaka, as well as the castle some other ideas are: Dotonbori (evening), Museum of Housing and Living (has replicated city block from the Edo Period), Peace Museum (World War II), Tennoji (temple and shrine), and the giant ferris wheel (amazing night view).

For Kyoto, this website has some great full- and half-day itineraries. Take a look at those (just use the search bar) and see if there's one or two that take your fancy.

Re: Japan trip and JR pass 2015/11/30 13:35
Thanks SQ

May I ask which website can to book the hotel in Shirakawago?

"Day 6 (05/3-Sat): Shirakawago via Toyama from Tokyo (Take Hokuriku Shinkansen to Toyama (3hrs) then transfer bus to Shirakawago (1,5hrs). May I ask which website can to book the hotel in Shirakawago?"

Re: Japan trip and JR pass 2015/11/30 14:16
I don't know, I'm sorry. Try Googling for the Shirakawago official website; they might have some pointers or a link for accommodation.

Re: Japan trip and JR pass 2015/12/1 00:38
For accomodation in Shirakawago (or elsewhere in Japan), you can always try rakuten or other booking sites

http://search.travel.rakuten.co.jp/ds/vacant/searchVacant...
by tedrabjg rate this post as useful

Re: Japan trip and JR pass 2015/12/1 11:18
This is the email address for the Shirakawa-go Tourist Association: info-e@shirakawa-go.gr.jp.

They helped us reserve bus seats and replied quite quickly. I'm sure they could help with accommodation too.
by Ausfam (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japan trip and JR pass 2015/12/2 12:53
Thank you All. I have reserved the Kanja ryokan in Shirakawago via Japaneseguesthouses already. The cost is 21800 yen for 2 person included breakfast and diner. Is it cheaper or expensive?

Btw, may i ask how to take the bus from Toyama to Shirakawago? I checked it is not more information.

Thanks!

reply to this thread