Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Two days in hiroshima/miyajima 2015/11/17 20:36
I have two nights to spend in hiroshima/miyajima when i visit japan next year. I will be travelling in the early afternoon from osaka. Would you recommend spending the first night in Miyajima before moving to Hiroshima, or the first night in Hiroshima before moving to Miyajima the second night?

thanks
by Luke (guest)  

Re: Two days in hiroshima/miyajima 2015/11/18 13:47
The first night in Miyajima. Followed by some walking about the forest in the morning. Then go to Hiroshima.
by jh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Two days in hiroshima/miyajima 2015/11/18 22:40
I dislike switching hotels, especially if it's for 2 places that close together. You could spend 2 nights on Miyajima or 2 nights in Hiroshima, and then just take a train (faster) or streetcar between the two. It doesn't take that long to see the Peace Museum and Park, walk the arcade, have some okonomiyaki, and even take in an afternoon Carps game, leaving you plenty of time to get back to the hotel/ryokan in Miyajima. On the other side, it doesn't take that long to get to Miyajima, take the ferry, walk to the shrines, walk to the the ropeway, hike up Mt. Misen and down through Momiji-dani, take the ferry back and catch a train back into Hiroshima. Miyajima is nice in the early morning and evening before the tourists start arriving, if that's of interest.
by Anaguma (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Two days in hiroshima/miyajima 2015/11/19 04:12
You might also consider to drop by in Iwakuni (famous bridge and common castle) on your way back to Hiroshima. From Miyajima take train to Iwakuni and than taxi to the bridge. After visiting the bridge take a taxi to the Shinkansen station to go back to Hiroshima or your next destination in Japan.
Have a nice trip.
B. Slager
by Butchijo rate this post as useful

Re: Two days in hiroshima/miyajima 2015/11/19 06:28
As noted already, there is a certain tranquility in the early morning and evening when the tourist hordes are not around. It makes it quite enjoyable. That said, accommodations are quite a bit more on Miyajima.
Also if you have some extra time, as said Iwakuni is just a bit past Miyajima and well worth seeing for its iconic bridge and mountaintop castle.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0COOZXi66mM

By far the biggest draw on Miyajima is the Itsukushima Shrine, and most people make it the first place they go to see.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDLB51ZdxTc
However, some people unfortunately just do a bit of poking around after that and leave, which is a tragedy. The Daishoin Temple is every bit as spectacular and in many ways even more so. You should not miss it while you are there.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMJfsw2Z688
You can certainly see the best of Hiroshima City in a day, and don't miss the Mitakidera on the city's west side, which is a secret gem unknown to the tourist guidebook "experts".
There are some other great places to see as well - Onomichi is another possibility, and aside from the temple tour, Kosanji is one of the most ornate and unique places - so much that some call it a 'Buddhist Disneyland'.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97Q5EjEOXI8
In Hiroshima, everyone goes to see the Peace Park/Museum, but don't miss the castle and Shukkeien Garden.
by Ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Two days in hiroshima/miyajima 2015/11/19 07:37
I'd spend both nights in Miyajima if you could. I found Hiroshima to be terribly polluted, moreso than any place I've been to in Japan. It ruined my snout for weeks. The air cleared as soon as we got off the coast, and Miyajima was pristine.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Two days in hiroshima/miyajima 2015/11/19 08:12
I actually found Hiroshima to be one of the cleaner large cities in Japan, and I loved the wide streets! Maybe it was just a bad time of year?
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Two days in hiroshima/miyajima 2015/11/19 10:09
I too did not have a polluted experience. And I cycled from place to place, so I probably had a higher intake of fumes as compared to those who take public transportation.
I cycled
Hiroshima station
Hitoshima castle
Atomic bomb & peace museum park
Shopping arcades

Perhaps the area you went to was more polluted, or the country I hail from is more populated? Or maybe that time of the year had certain pollens or something in the air. If something damaged your nose for weeks it should be an allergy.
by Jh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Two days in hiroshima/miyajima 2015/11/21 10:04
It also could have been one of those waves of smog blowing in from China that are occasionally reported when particularly noticeable.

Hiroshima is quite clean I think. Much moreso than Osaka, Tokyo, etc.

I would go to Miyajima the first day and Hiroshima the second to give ample time for the atomic bomb museum and sites.
by Rabbityama (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread