Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Attending Japanese Kekkon Ohirome Party 2015/11/22 07:56
Hello

One of my Japanese friend just got married and asked me if i want to attend their introduction party (Kekkon Ohirome Party)

I never attended such Japanese party and Have no idea about how to behave/manners to follow there, what kind of dress they expect to be worn by attendees and about gift whether they accept gifts or not or if yes then is that money only or else what and any special words to write on gift envelope etc etc.

Please guide me if anyone has experienced such Japanese party.

Thanks

Also,
by MNS (guest)  

Re: Attending Japanese Kekkon Ohirome Party 2015/11/22 16:58
Did she say "Kekkon Ohirome Party"? Then it sounds like it's different from the traditional "hirouen." (I mean, it means the same, but "hirouen" is usually held right after the wedding on the same day, and guests invited include the newly-weds' relatives, bosses, colleagues, and friends, which means it tends to be quite official).

You'd have to ask your friend about this party - what style it is, where it is going to be held, who will be there, dress code, etc. Some young people hold just "friends/colleagues only party," where you pay a fixed amount of money, so you'd never know.

In case it is the usual "hirouen" style, then it will be a full course lunch/dinner, all seated, everyone wearing party dress (of the modest type, no white dress) or proper suit with dress shirt & tie, and you are supposed to bring a gift of money.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Attending Japanese Kekkon Ohirome Party 2015/11/23 09:09
Its 結婚お披露目パーティ

The new couple already Wed in their native place and have thrown a party for friends in Tokyo.
Also they don't have any dress code.

Do I supposed to get money gift or any other gift would be fine for such party?
How much amount of money generally supposed to be gifted by friends?
by MNS (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Attending Japanese Kekkon Ohirome Party 2015/11/23 09:34
OK, then at least it's not one of those official parties :)

Ask them if it's "会費制" (kaihi-sei, meaning there is a fixed amount you are supposed to pay to cover for food, drinks, etc.).

If it's not, and it's completely hosted by the couple, since they call it a "party," I would take any gift that I want to give them.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread