Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Name in kanji? 2015/11/24 11:55
How can i write the name "Masao" so it means "righteousness"? Looking for the kanji spelling... it would also be helpful if you could describe the individual kanji since i barely know any.
bonus if anyone knows other japanese names that mean noble, righteous, etc.
by lil homie (guest)  

Re: Name in kanji? 2015/11/24 16:10
The common kanji for "correct, righteous" is 正, which can be pronounced "masa" and is often combined with 男 or 夫, which both mean "man", to form Masao. (Incidentally, one of my professors is named 正夫.)

Another possibility is 潔, which can also mean "pure" or "clean" (for example it is used in the word meaning "innocent", e.g., of a crime). In names it is generally pronounced "kiyo". YOu can combine it with 士 (meaning "warrior", "samurai") to form 潔士 "Kiyoshi".
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Name in kanji? 2015/11/24 17:43
Are you trying to come up with a name (for your son, for example), or, are you trying to figure out how to write the name of an existing Japanese acquaintance of yours with the name Masao, who told you his name meant "righteousness"?

If it's the latter, note that that can end up as a guessing game only. (There is no way to know if it is written 正雄, 正夫, or 正男, for example, as the first kanji that means "correct, right" is common but the second all can be used in combination to read "o.")

Oh, since you are asking for other names, it must be the former. If you want "noble" in the name, that could be 貴夫, for example, pronounced "Takao" and the first kanji means "noble." Another one would be 崇夫, another one pronounced "Takao," and the first kanji also means "noble."
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Name in kanji? 2015/11/24 17:59
There are some Kanji names pronouced "Masa" & "O".
As masa
将 leader general
正 righteousness justice
雅 noble elegant grace
優 exellent gentle tender kind
政 govern
勝 win overcome

As O
男 man strong-man
夫 husband master man
雄 man big-mind-man

Though there are other many kanjis pronouced as "masao",
正雄、雅夫 might be possible as what is like with your want.
by biwakoman rate this post as useful

reply to this thread