Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Job Offer from Tokyo, Chiyoda 2015/11/28 00:10
Dear all,
I am Mechanical Engineer with 8 years experiences. I have get a job offer recently which is around 4,200,000 Yen annually, after tax and health insurance deduction, i.e. around 350, 000 Yen per month.

May I know is this salary too low ? This is 6 months contract, and I will be there alone.

May I know the rental fees for a fully furnished 1 bed room apartment in Chiyoda ?

How about the utilities and internet fees monthly ?

Thanks !
by fieldfield1108  

Re: Job Offer from Tokyo, Chiyoda 2015/11/28 13:38
It sounds like a decent amount, though I would check with the company to see if any overtime pay is included in that salary or not.

Chiyoda-ku in central Tokyo would be an office area, not really a place to live. People who work in that area are commuting from outside that central area.

Since your contract is only for 6 months, I would recommend that you contact the potential employer if they can help you with finding and renting an apartment (or if they happen to have any company-owned apartments for their employees).

I say this because: local rent agreement usually run for 2 years (so in your case you will have to find guesthouses, short-term rental apartment, and the like); your employer needs to act as your guarantor anyway for renting a place; the company "might" have some apartments for short-term employees.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Job Offer from Tokyo, Chiyoda 2015/11/28 13:41
I'm not sure the salary is enough for you. It depends on your situation.

Fully furnished apartments in JP are very low demand.
There are weekly, monthly apartments available for short time visitors but they are mostly not furnished.

Chiyoda-ku is mostly business district. You better to find somewhere closer town where residentical district locates.
by tokyo friend 48 rate this post as useful

Re: Job Offer from Tokyo, Chiyoda 2015/11/28 13:54
Thanks for both replies..
Actually 350k Yen monthly is included 2 hrs OT everyday, if exclude the OT, I can only get around 290k Yen monthly, which is included housing allowance.

I wish to ask for a rise until 330k Yen monthly, is it too much?

I think I will rent a long term guesthouse near Nakano, which is only 50 to 55k Yen per month. May I know the commute fees from Nakano to Chiyoda?
by fieldfield1108 rate this post as useful

Re: Job Offer from Tokyo, Chiyoda 2015/11/28 14:06
So 350,000 yen per month includes 2 hours of overtime every day? Is that guaranteed, or do you only get 290,000 yen if (for example) you didn't have to work that long hours for one month??

As I am not familiar with the level of engineering expertise expected for your position, I cannot comment on whether asking for a raise to amount is too much.

About commuting, I don't exactly which train/subway line your office will be nearest to, but assuming it is close to Otemachi station, commuting on one of the subway lines from Nakano to Otemachi costs 200 yen one way, but a 6-months commuter pass (which gives you good discount) comes at 42,230 yen for 6 months.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Job Offer from Tokyo, Chiyoda 2015/11/28 14:15
Yes..350k yen already included OT, although OT is quite common in JP, but I think this is better I ask for more for my basic salary.

Thanks for your info regarding the tren pass!

Re: Job Offer from Tokyo, Chiyoda 2015/11/28 15:19
just to double check,
you said being offered 4,200,000 annually, after tax and health comes to 350,000 per month, with 6 months contract.

1. double check your tax and health deduction. also pension.
4,200,000 / 12 is 350,000 not yet consider tax/health deduction.
note that there will be pension deduction as well.
recheck your value.
example gross 350,000 after tax, health, pension etc., you'll end up with around 290K~300K. deduction ranges from to 15~ 20%

2. most company reimburse your commuting fee. there are limit
to the amount you can claim, defer from each company. it
depend on where you live and your mode of transport. normal
is you buy the commuter pass and get reimbursed for the
amount you paid. so check with them and try to get it included
in your contract.

3. standard labour law is that you'll be paid 1.25 of your hourly
pay for OT work, and another rate for OT 10 PM onward.

4. As for accommodation, try ... advise. try to find out exactly where your workplace is, the nearest station. use
www.hyperdia.com to workout the commuting time and fees.

Labour related law :
http://tokyo-foreigner.jsite.mhlw.go.jp/english/seekers_1/spec/spec_1c...

all in all if you get 350K p.m. (after all deduction - please check again) it is not too bad considering in Japan, permanent worker, new grad get ave. 200K-250K per month but they get bonus as well.

thing will be whether you think you're well compensated for your experience, but then again 6 month experience working in Japan might look good on your CV. maybe you can find other work opportunity to continue staying in Japan.
by .. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Job Offer from Tokyo, Chiyoda 2015/11/29 01:13
Wow, thanks for your detail and helpful info!
By the way, you mentioned fresh grad in JP get 200k to 250k yen per month, may I know is it only basic salary? Are they entitled allowance?

Thanks!

Re: Job Offer from Tokyo, Chiyoda 2015/11/29 23:10
20k-25k must be before tax, pension and health insurance. After them it must be 16-22k.
It is only basic salary and from my experience fresh graduates don't work overtime so much.
I started from this kind of salary and could pay a down payment for my newly built 1LDK apartment in the 3rd year.
by amenoshita rate this post as useful

Re: Job Offer from Tokyo, Chiyoda 2015/11/29 23:20
O? Really? You must be a dedicated person, who has great commitment in life..

Thanks for your help! I think I really should ask for a better package, then😄

Gd luck in JP..

reply to this thread