Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

First time solo travel - Feb 2016 2015/11/28 07:33
I plan on travelling to Japan in Feb 2016 - This is my first trip to Japan, and the first time travelling alone. I'm a university student, so it's a budget trip but there is still plenty I want to see and do. I'm a bit nervous to travel alone, but many people say Japan is quite safe so that makes me feel better.

I will be staying for 13-16 days, landing in Tokyo. I have a list of things I want to see/do in Tokyo, but was wondering if there were any things people could recommend that would be interesting or helpful for solo travelers : ) I'm interested in history, cultural events, anime, nature and general sight-seeing. I'll be getting around on foot/transit for the entire stay (though I'm still trying to figure out which passes I should purchase for my stay!)

Should I stay within Tokyo, or are there any (fairly easy to transport to) cities/locations I should see in Feb?

Any help is appreciated : )
by HaliRose  

Re: First time solo travel - Feb 2016 2015/11/28 09:07
This will give you some ideas.

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2400.html
by guest (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: First time solo travel - Feb 2016 2015/11/28 09:59
Thanks! I will look on there to see if I can get some more ideas : )

I want to do a mixture of touristy things and local things, so I'm keeping my eye out for some hidden gems
by HaliRose rate this post as useful

Re: First time solo travel - Feb 2016 2015/11/28 13:03
When in Feb are you travelling? Feb 5-11 is the snow festival in Sapporo if you wanted to go all the way up to Hokkaido, and there's numerous winter festivals in Tohoku region in the 2nd and 3rd weeks of Feb. There's the Shirakawago light up on the first couple of feb weekends, though this late in the game the best way to get there is through an organised group tour, as buses and local accommodation are booked out. And there's also the Kawazu Cherry Blossom festival, which runs from early Feb to early March, and you can even do as a day trip from Tokyo. Good chance to see some early blooming cherry blossoms. Do a bit of an internet search for events in Japan in Feb and I'm sure you'll get plenty more ideas.
by Mon (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: First time solo travel - Feb 2016 2015/11/30 15:18
by amenoshita rate this post as useful

Re: First time solo travel - Feb 2016 2015/11/30 19:47
I plan on travelling to Japan in Feb 2016 - This is my first trip to Japan, and the first time travelling alone.

Welcome to the forum. (^_^)

February... great for winter festivals up north (as Mon suggested earlier). I'm not sure how tight of a budget you're on, but if you've got room for a domestic flight - or if you're getting a JR Pass and don't mind a very long train journey - consider setting aside a few days for Hokkaidō and its grand winter events. This was my own experience from 2014:

https://withinstrikingdistance.wordpress.com/tag/hokkaido/

It might be a little too late to find reasonably priced accommodation in Sapporo, though - the main winter festival there is very popular and I had trouble finding rooms even 4-5 months in advance. But it couldn't hurt to poke around Hostelworld or other booking sites for options.

if there were any things people could recommend that would be interesting or helpful for solo travelers

Hmm...not sure where to begin - too many things to suggest, haha - but if you've got specific questions I'll be happy to offer my two cents.

Here's one to start: a restaurant chain that I've become a loyal regular of, thanks to their solo diner-friendly setup. (Maybe not the absolute best ramen joint of all time, but consistently good, and I've darkened the doors of their branches in multiple cities as a result.)

https://withinstrikingdistance.wordpress.com/2014/02/21/food-report-ic...

Some of my past trips (which I've mostly done solo) might also give you a few ideas (click "Japan" from the "Destinations" menu and off you go):

https://withinstrikingdistance.wordpress.com/

Should I stay within Tokyo, or are there any (fairly easy to transport to) cities/locations I should see in Feb?

For a 13-16 day trip, I'd advise against just settling yourself in one city. My trips to Japan are usually 15 days long (roughly the maximum I can go on leave without my colleagues at work killing me) and I tend to base myself in several cities across the country, taking day trips from each of them. This gives me maximum coverage for minimum fuss, as opposed to taking ultra-long train journeys from one city or (on the other extreme) changing hotels almost every night as I hop from place to place.

This suggested itinerary for a 16-day journey might be a good place to start:

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2400_tokyo_14.html

though I'm still trying to figure out which passes I should purchase for my stay!

The community will be better able to advise on a suitable pass once you've formed your itinerary. Whether this pass or that pass (or no pass at all) will save you money depends mainly on your travel plans, so it might be best to sketch out at least a draft first.

Cheers.
by Diego de Manila rate this post as useful

Re: First time solo travel - Feb 2016 2015/12/1 11:36
Wow! So many great things to look into!

I've decided to add multiple stops to my trip since it does seem like a long time to stay within Tokyo.
I've added 2-3 days in Kyoto now, and am looking for another stop.

I'll be travelling from super snowy weather so I was kind of hoping to try to skip as much snow as possible. I was thinking of hitting up somewhere in the south, somewhere that offers something a little different from Tokyo and Kyoto.

Looking to travel long distances, and with multiple stops I believe the 7 day JR pass is more worth my money, rather than Willer busses. If I was only going from Tokyo-Kyoto-Tokyo, the bus option seemed good. But wanting to add another stop, I'm really leaning more towards the train. I'm seeing many places in the more south areas that really look quite interesting, but any input is appreciated!

The anime nerd in me can't help but add a daytrip (by local train?) to Chichibu for some Anohana sight seeing, and for just spending some chill time in a smaller city.

So far, I've lined up this timeline:
1 - 5 Tokyo
6 - 8 Koyto
9 - 11 MYSTERY LOCATION
12 - 14 Tokyo ( Mainly shopping, so I don't have to carry around my goods for 2 weeks)

I'll check out that blog for some more suggestions on things to see : ) I love the idea of the tiny booth restaurants ^__^ I don't have a huge food budget, but I'm going to make sure to at least take in a few authentic outside eats.

Thanks for the help everyone! I wasn't expecting to find so much information here. I've been doing a lot of research all over the internet, but having people poke me in the right direction is making the planning much less overwhelming : )

Re: First time solo travel - Feb 2016 2015/12/1 12:53
if you are hitting both tokyo and kyoto and can spare the money for another shinkansen trip, i would recommend going to hiroshima as it's easily accessible for tourists, has a lot of things you can see (particularly if you spend a day out at miyajima), and has culture spots you can't see anywhere else (the atomic museum and a-bomb dome). hiroshima is easy to get around by yourself, as i've traveled there solo myself, and there are a number of ryokan-style hostels that you can stay in there listed on hostelworld. just my 2 cents - hiroshima is one of my favorite places in japan, honestly.
by kay (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: First time solo travel - Feb 2016 2015/12/1 16:26
If you want some away from cold/snow, i recommend the hot springs in the south. Maybe Kyushu. Different culture /cuisine and the accommodations can be reasonable priced too.

Your 7 day JR Pass can be used in this way
Day 1
Tokyo to Kyoto
Toei Studio Park
Golden Pavilion
Ryoanji
Take a night train to Osaka for an hour walk/snack along the Domtombori

Day 2
Arashiyama in the day
JR Line from JR Arashiyama to Kyoto station
Kyoto City Station for dinner (Katsukara on the high floor is recommended or the ramen street)
Go to Fushimi Inari for some evening lights

Day 3 Higashiyama region
Start from Silver Pavilion and walk all the way to Kiyomizudera
Ending your walk at Gion

Ramen places in this region
Ichiran at Domtombori
Ten pai ippin at JR Namba station area and north of Yasaka Shrine
Ippudo west of Nishiki Market

Day 4 Train to Hiroshima
Have a day and night in Hiroshima
The ferry to Miyajima is covered by the JR Pass

Day 5 & 6
Take a slow journey to Kanazawa
Possible day trips to Takayama and Shirakawago
Kaga onsen is nearby that allows the experience of hot springs

Day 7
Finish your exploration of Kanazawa area and the shinkansen back to Tokyo

I would prefer to go to Kyushu for the unique culture and the warmer temperatures, but i'm not certain on your desire to travel that far south/west.

Cheap places to stay
JHoppers
Sakura chain hotels
K House
Hana hostel
First Cabin
Piece Hostel
Toyoko Inn
by jh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: First time solo travel - Feb 2016 2015/12/1 20:35
You can find cheap place to stay in
http://www.hostelworld.com/

Enjoy!
by tri (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: First time solo travel - Feb 2016 2015/12/4 13:49
Dear HailRose, I will be travelling to Japan on a solo trip as well. My travel dates will be in between 5 feb to 15feb. It would be great to discuss on the itenary as our paths might cross with the destinations we will be travelling to. Do drop me a mail if you would be interested to discuss further.
by Elaine (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: First time solo travel - Feb 2016 2015/12/9 03:46
I have been looking more into Kyushu and would like to spend 4 of my 7 Day JR Pass trip in that region. So far I have added Kagoshima (I really want to see the volcano and explore that area). I like nature, history, art, sea life and light paced outdoor adventuring (kayaking, hiking, things of that nature).

My dates keep changing (it's all work dependent, so I wont have concrete timing until the new year!) But essentially I'll be travelling 2 weeks anywhere from late Jan to late Feb.

Any more suggestions for Kyushu? : )

Re: First time solo travel - Feb 2016 2015/12/9 05:50
I just came back from my solo trip to Tokyo and Sendai. I went for two weeks from November 22 to December 5. Seems you have a lot of ideas about destinations so I won't add more. But here are some observations I made while travelling solo:

1. Travelling is easy as all train stations and train lines have english names. Buses are a bit iffy as bus routes might not display stops in english, so its hard to know where you are going. In Kyoto buses are the only way to go and they are the exception. They have english names to their stops so you generally know where you are going. Here is some info on Kyoto bus network

http://www.insidekyoto.com/kyoto-buses

2. Bring your smartphone as Google Translator was my best friend. I have used it many times and they seem to understand what I am asking.

3. I ate solo all the time and there is no problem doing it. Most restaurants have bar seating specifically for solo diners, so don't feel embarrassed to eat alone. The only difficult thing is ordering. Especially in smaller towns, many restaurants do not have english speaking staff or english menu. What I did often was look for places with the food displays, take a photo of what I want, then show it to the server. Or, go to ramen shops with the vending machines. A huge tip is choose the button on the upper left hand corner. That dish is the "chef special" and is often the safest item in the menu.

4. Ramen is typically 600-900 yen, and soba is typically 500-800 yen. I found it cheaper in smaller cities than Tokyo. Ichiran (the ramen shop with solo booths) is actually pretty expensive. Once you pack the meats, garlic, and egg, each bowl is over 1000 yen. I recommend the mom and pop ramen shops as they are cheaper and less rowdy.

5. If you have some money to spend you have to get the wifi box. It allows you constant internet access wherever you go, even underground (though not in the mountainous areas). I found that I need it not only for social media, but also access google maps when you get lost. Also, I believe you need internet for Google Translate. I would not necessarily trust the free wifi because you have to register all the time and they are not always found everywhere.

6. Japan is one of the safest countries in the world and throughout the entire trip I in no way felt unsafe or endangered. Obviously you would avoid places you logically wouldn't go to, but I didn't feel threatened even in a dimly lit street.

7. Bring lots of cash. Most restaurants do not accept credit card, and even many stores do not accept credit card. I was in a department store in Kawagoe and even there I had to use cash.

8. In terms of passes, JR is not the only option. Local and private rail companies often have their own passes. I.e. the Kansai Thru Pass and Kyoto Bus and Subway Pass. Explore these options as I find JR can be more expensive than other transit systems.

Hope this helps. Honestly if there is one country to travel solo, its Japan. It's safe, people are generally friendly (or at least they keep to themselves), and the food and culture is amazing.
by Villagemayor rate this post as useful

reply to this thread