Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Transfer to Nikko via Tokyo or Ueno? 2015/11/28 09:15
Hi,

Tokyo station and Ueno Station is just 5 minutes train riding from my hotel. So my question is which station is better? Because both is so huge and I would like the station with the shortes transfer.

Thank you
by clampp  

Re: Transfer to Nikko via Tokyo or Ueno? 2015/11/28 10:27
Depends on what line you will be taking to Tokyo or Ueno and on whether you will be traveling by shinkansen or Utsunomiya Line. If you ride the shinkansen, note that the shinkansen platforms at Ueno are in a very deep basement. I always prefer using Tokyo. If you board in Tokyo, you also have a better situation of getting good non-reserved seats because it is the first station along the line, while Ueno is the second stop.

If you travel by Utsunomiya Line, it makes less of a difference.

But it also depends on what line you will be taking to get to Ueno or Tokyo. The Ginza Line in Ueno, for example, is quite a long walk from the JR platforms. A transfer from the Marunouchi Line at Tokyo Station, for example, is - in my opinion - more comfortable.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Transfer to Nikko via Tokyo or Ueno? 2015/11/28 23:27
Thank you very much Uji-san ILll thake the Shinkansen from Tokyo station.

Question: How much time does it takes to transfer from Yamanote Line to Shinkansen plattform to Utsunomiya?
by clampp rate this post as useful

Re: Transfer to Nikko via Tokyo or Ueno? 2015/11/29 06:46
It would take myself 1-2 minutes from platform to platform because I do that transfer every other week. But the average tourist is probably going to take 2-5 minutes. Assuming that you have your shinkansen tickets purchased already.
by Uji rate this post as useful

reply to this thread