Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Train Tickets 2015/12/1 17:08
Hi,

I'm wondering if i plan to travel on 27th december by Rail can i buy tickets on the 26th at the ticket offices . i.e can i buy tickets a day before the actual date of travel.

Thank you !
by yean (guest)  

Re: Train Tickets 2015/12/1 17:17
Most trains in Japan have non-reserved cars for which tickets never sell out.

In case you intend to make seat reservations, note that December 27 will not be dramatically busy. Yet, there will probably be some trains that are booked out, especially in the afternoon and evening in direction of Tokyo. So, it depends when and what train you will be riding, but generally speaking, you have rather good chances to make seat reservations, especially if you are somewhat flexible with regards to the time to travel.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Train Tickets 2015/12/1 17:18
The New Year rush does not start until the 29th.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Train Tickets 2015/12/1 17:20
is there an extra cost involved with making reservations both in person and online ?

Thank you !
by Yean (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Train Tickets 2015/12/1 21:58
It depends on what you mean by reservation.
If you mean just buying the ticket, you can buy it the day before. Like buying flight tickets, you don't have to buy on the day itself. If you want to make a reservation for a reserve seating, you would have to pay extra.
For airline this would be similar to how some airlines charge for choosing your seat (upfront, aisle, window, etc)

Summary
No charge for buying ahead of time but a charge for choosing (reserving) seat
by jh (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread