Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Suitcase vs. Backpack? 2015/12/6 03:44
Me and my husband can't decide on one large suitcase with 4 wheels or we each have a large travel backpack? We're switching hotels only 4 times during our 3 weeks. And the only time we'll be stuck with our luggage while touring is the stop over in Hiroshima. Are there lockers in Hiroshima? Or same day luggage delivery to Narita?

I've read a few forums with the pros and cons of each. What do you guys think?

Thanks!
by allicat86  

Re: Suitcase vs. Backpack? 2015/12/6 22:07
If you will use public transport a lot, i strongly suggest carrying backpack instead.
by thai (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Suitcase vs. Backpack? 2015/12/6 22:55
I get back pain so personally would go with rolling luggage. It sounds like you wont be changing hotels much, so it isn't a huge hassle. Plus, with only one bag you could even trade off who pulls it so you can each take a rest at times. And yes, Hiroshima has lockers so you could leave your stuff there if necessary.
by scarreddragon rate this post as useful

Re: Suitcase vs. Backpack? 2015/12/6 23:24
you can send your large suitcases by takkyubin (takuhaibin), like yamato transport. you only carry small daypacks for travelling and sightseeing everyday.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Suitcase vs. Backpack? 2015/12/7 02:17
Two small suitcases with wheel would be an alternative solution.
Otherwise, two backpacks, unless you want to wheel your husband's luggage everywhere...;0)
by Winter Visitor rate this post as useful

Re: Suitcase vs. Backpack? 2015/12/7 04:54
2 medium suitcases with wheels. We tried larger suitcases and they are a pain on the trains and around crowds, also the poor taxi drivers nearly break their backs lifting them. Medium size with wheels holds pretty much everything and is pretty convenient. I'd like to try carry on only, but it'd only work if you didnt have a second pair of shoes or need winter stuff.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Suitcase vs. Backpack? 2015/12/7 05:23
Sounds like either would suit you. Carrying the backpacks for four transfers does not sound like it would be difficult, and managing one case between two also sounds like it would not be a problem.

What do you prefer travelling with?
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Suitcase vs. Backpack? 2015/12/7 08:17
I never had problems during a three month trip with my big suitcase (apart from Kyoto - where lockers are rare) - even changing hotels every day.
by Glimpigumpi rate this post as useful

Re: Suitcase vs. Backpack? 2015/12/7 12:43
Rolling suitcase.
by Oder (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Suitcase vs. Backpack? 2016/1/13 18:13
Suitcase allows me the freedom of carrying big items and make use of all the weight allowed on flights. It relieves pressure off your back though it can slow your mobility down. Your belongings inside your suitcase seem better protected than a backpack and you will no longer to worry about wrinkling clothes inside it. So I'd do with the suitcase.
by Stanley Chan (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Suitcase vs. Backpack? 2016/1/13 18:51
For the three of us (two adults, one child) we have one medium sized rolling suitcase and one medium sized backpack.

On a typical 17 day trip, we'd change hotels anywhere between 6 and 12 times (even if it's sometimes just moving between, say, two different ryokans within a few miles of each other).

This means that I can carry all the luggage and my OH is unencumbered and can hold on to our daughter when required and/or do essential things like picking up snacks and drinks for train journeys/take charge of the tickets/etc.

Just as importantly, it means that you have smaller bags which (a) fit better in lockers and can fit in two smaller lockers when there isn't a large locker available, and (b) are a LOT more manageable on buses and trains (i.e. they fit on buses without blocking the aisles and they can be lifted into the small overhead racks on trains).

For us, the secret of a happy holiday lies in leaving behind as much stuff as possible. I'm not going to Japan to be a fashion icon. I'm going to do stuff. To me, baggage is.....baggage.
by Winter Visitor (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Suitcase vs. Backpack? 2016/1/13 19:24
I'll vote for the wheeled suitcase. It really just comes down to which you'll find to be less annoying.
by Sal1980 rate this post as useful

Re: Suitcase vs. Backpack? 2016/1/13 21:47
Be civilized and carry a rolling suitcase. Back packs scream backpackers and is annoying bec. Backpacks tend to hit you in the face when you are on the trains.
IMHO.
by Tippytoes (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Suitcase vs. Backpack? 2016/1/13 22:02
It's quite possible to take a backpack off when entering a train, and to hold it at ground level.

If fact, I would normally stack the backpack on top of the small suitcase, thereby taking up less floorspace in the a train carriage than either a big suitcase or two small suitcases.

I'm laughing at the idea of suitcases as being "civilised". It's such an odd comment to make.
by Winter Visitor rate this post as useful

Re: Suitcase vs. Backpack? 2016/1/13 23:01
Suitcase with wheels.

It is better to use your energy for sightseeing instead of carrying all of your stuff on your back.
by Sillie rate this post as useful

Re: Suitcase vs. Backpack? 2016/1/13 23:22
Why even carry a suitcase to your sightseeing places? I see that all the time and think these people don't know how to travel in Japan. Send your luggage ahead of you via Yamato and be done with it!
by <> (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Suitcase vs. Backpack? 2016/1/13 23:32

I often wonder why so many people carry big suitcases when holidaying overseas, even for a short visit of a week.
I have travelled to many countries, could be for a week, or a month, or the longest for 2 months. I always carry a small backpack with everything I need weights no more than 7kgs.
by travellite (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Suitcase vs. Backpack? 2016/1/14 02:12
I have done Large Suitcase first time, second time Backpack and last time medium suitcase.....Medium Suitcase was the best for me. It was easier to carry (roll) and easier to use lockers when I needed to. It was harder with Large Suitcase to move around and very hard to find a locker that would fit. Then large backpack basically made my back hurt and also usually harder to fit in lockers as well.

My Suggestions is Rolling Medium Suitcase and use a luggage service at Train Stations or hotels is much easier. Yes you do pay a little bit more but I think it is worth it.

Hope this helps!!
Have Fun!!
by Koohii2wii rate this post as useful

reply to this thread