Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

hiking in yakushima 2015/12/19 05:39
Hi!
Me and my friend visit yakushima for one week in april. I want to do long hiking around/ into the Island for 3 days and 3 days to rest and relaks.
I will be happy to hear if someone did this hiking, What do I need to book in advance, If we need a guide or we can do it ourselves? The sleeping is in hotels on the way?
Any help will be appreciated
Yuval.
by yuviziv  

Re: hiking in yakushima 2015/12/19 16:40
Options:
1.Stay in one of the towns in Yakushima. Book yourself a tour daily. Most tours start about 5-6am. A vehicle will come to pick you. Hassle free. Less common but still available are the afternoon tours. These are for the 3-4 hours treks.
2. Same as above but you handle your own transport. The problem is whether you are confident in your driving. also the public transport here is not frequent. There are companies who lend you a driver and vehicle. You can see the waterfalls and do the 3 hour drive around the island's perimeter.
3. Trek/hike slowly. Sleep in some cabin at night and continue the hike the next day.

Note that there are 3 main routes offered by tour companies.
The longest being 11 hours. This one is only available to start in the wee hours of the morning. If done by oneself, it may be better to use option 3 as... you may not be familiar with which route to take. Getting lost in a forest that size is no joke.

I would recommend option 1 for two days. This is for hiking. Then hire a driver +car or use a cab to go to see the waterfall and go around the island (unless you are getting the rental car).
Note that some parts of the island are not accessible by bus. Car is ok.
by jh (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread